3. Photos are everything. You don't need professional photos, but you do need good pictures that show you at your best. Your photo is the first thing people see so smile, dress nice and don't wear sunglasses. (People want to see your eyes!)
4. Write short emails. The point of emailing is to start a conversation. Comment on something from that person's profile and ask a question to get the ball rolling. Simple is best and humor works great.
More from YourTango: The Best Dating Advice to Find Love After 50
5. Manage expectations. Surprisingly, the response rate online is not that high. For every 10 emails you send, expect only one or two responses. This is normal so don't waste time getting angry. Just move on to find fresh possibilities.
6. Set a timer. It's easy to get lost online which is why I recommend that my dating coaching clients set a timer for no more than 30-minutes in any one session to prevent overwhelm.
7. Be open to people. If you're looking for love online, be open to meeting some. It's easy to delete emails, but that won't get you any dates! The more you say "yes," the more people you'll meet. Dating is a numbers game, so play big and meet lots of prospects because you never know who could turn out to be Mr. Right.
More from YourTango: Could These 10 Cities Actually Break Your Heart?
Are you struggling to find love? As a dating coach for women over 40, I can help with proven dating methods that have helped thousands. Get more dating tips in my FREE book 5 Big Turnoffs That Drive Men Away. Find love with the right man as quickly as possible and avoid the many potential pitfalls along the way.