Many women struggle with getting over a break up or devastating dating disappointment. If this has happened to you recently or even in the past, my heart goes out to you. But, holding on for years after a break up, is like giving your power away to that man. I know a lot about this since I lost 18 years of my young single life over my college boyfriend!
Here are seven surefire ways to get over a break up, recover from the loss and move on:
1. Build your self esteem. Change up your hair and makeup and get some new clothes. Maybe you need pampering to feel cared for and special again. Exercise or workout with a trainer. Whatever makes you feel beautiful and strong – that’s the way to go. You are an amazing woman. Let yourself shine once again. Building confidence is one of the best ways overcome a break up.
More from YourTango: What Guys Really Think Of Texting
2. He’s not the only man. You may be operating under the idea that he was the only man for you, but this is not true. Remember there are other single men out there. I don’t believe there is only one perfect match and you have had your love.. That is total nonsense! There is definitely more than one love for every person or no one would ever find love again. After a break up, it may feel that he was the only one, but its time to realize that line of thinking is holding you back.
3. He wasn’t the right man for you. If he was the right guy, things would have worked out. So, whatever is going on with him now doesn’t matter. There is no need to compare yourself to his new girlfriend because you don’t need to be anything like her. He’s not the right man for you so who cares about either of them? Time spent on that is wasted time which is true for all break ups.
4. Stop thinking about him. When you catch yourself thinking about him, STOP IT! Think about something else – anything else. This is where distraction is so important. You need to practice shifting your thinking and if you struggle with that, then throw yourself into a new project. Start exercising. Take up a new hobby. Go out with friends. This is one of the best cures for break ups.
More from YourTango: Why Ranting Online About Your Divorce Ruins Your Chance At Love
5. Try positive self talk. Come up with what you want to say to yourself when you catch yourself thinking about him. Maybe you remind yourself that there are other men out there. Maybe you tell yourself that you are lovable. Or say, “My new boyfriend is on his way to me now.” With break ups, consciously say something positive that makes you feel good to shift those painful thoughts to be something happier.
6. Smile more. This may sound too simple, but it really works. The more you smile, the happier you get. Then try smiling at other people too. This is a quick positive interaction that spreads good feelings! You also look prettier when you smile. Don’t hold back any longer – show those pearly whites and grin from ear to ear. It is absolutely contagious!