"You don't have to feel like a wasted space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow"
Have you ever felt like a wasted space? I have. I've struggled most of my life with the mistaken belief that I have no value, I have no worth, and that I'm not worth investing in. Lost relationships, lost career paths, and even a lost sense of identity took its toll on me for many years. It happened so slowly, over so many years, that I don’t even know how I got there. What I do know, is that I made a choice to overcome my own obstacles and seek the real truth of who I am apart from outside influences.
The truth is that I AM an original and cannot be replaced. It's taken many years for me to get rid of the lies and the mistaken thinking, but I've found my Sparkle Effect™, that thing that allows my inner light to shine, and so can you.
Here are 5 steps you can take right now that will lead you to a life of inner freedom and independence as you light up your life.
1. Stop trying to be a superhero. We all have limitations and will never be able to please everyone we come in contact with. Embrace who you are, celebrate what makes you unique, and rest in the fact that not everyone will like you. Some will, some won't, so what!
2. Do something outrageous. Step outside of your comfort zone and shake things up a bit. Do something unexpected and have a little fun. God gave you the natural born ability to be creative. Use your creativity and shine a light on something new, different or exotic. Get out of your box and surprise yourself.
3. Stop pretending. If something no longer works for you, stop. Take a moment to re-evaluate the things or people in your life that are keeping you from being the firework that you are. Some times you have to get rid of something to create the space that welcomes the new.
4. Have an opinion. Explore and discover why you like what you like, believe what you believe, and value what you value. There is an ancient scripture in the bible that warns about being lukewarm. Be hot, or be cold, but don’t ever settle for the lukewarm middle. Have an opinion and stand by it, not matter what. That doesn't mean you shove it down everyone's throat, it just means you are entitled to have your own opinion, and at times you need to agree to disagree.
5. Spend time with people who will lift you up. Find new friends if you have too. Find people who will accept your individuality, affirm your worth, and encourage your journey. Not everyone will always understand you, but it sure helps to hang out with people who want to be on the journey with you.
As the song says, "You just gotta ignite the light, and let it shine". You're bursting with color, spark, and beauty. I know you are because you are amazing. Ignite the light, let it shine, and share your brilliance with the world, 'cause baby you're a Firework! And if you need a little spark to get you going, take a look at this video: