As A Single Without Children Looking To Date Someone With Children:
A whole new world is opened up for the single person who doesn't have kids once they are introduced to someone who does have children. You have to have patience and be willing to put the needs of your partner's kids before your own...many times. You will be going to kids events and spending time with your partner's kids in addition to your alone adult time.
The child(ren) may accept you readily or you may have to deal with some resentment as if you are an intruder and taking this parent away from the child(ren). Also, the single parent may expect the partner to pitch in and help—with feeding time, cleaning up after the children, entertaining the children or other parent-like responsibilities. The issue of discipline and how much say you have will come into play, as well. 10 Parenting Secrets To Empower Kids
The comments I hear from my clients who do not have children and are dating single parents are:
- "I need to feel that I am special and that my partner is thinking of me. I understand that most times the kids come first, but I need to see that he is making the effort for us to have alone time."
- "I really like the idea of being a part of a child's life since I doubt I will have children of my own at this age."
- "I have to see that the person I am dating has a good relationship with their ex and that the kids' interest comes before their own. Also, I need to feel accepted by the kids in order for me to stick around." Are You A Good Companion?
- "My biggest transition was having the kids around and knowing what to do with them."
The benefits of dating a single parent are being a part of a child's life, building a bond that can last a lifetime and having a ready-made family. My clients tell me that it's not easy, but if you hang in there for the long haul, you do become a part of the family and it can be very rewarding. Help! Three Kids And No Sex Life
The key to both sides feeling happy about the relationship is being able to communicate each other's needs and come up with a solution that works for both parties. Dating with children bring in a whole new dimension. It is definitely challenging at times, but from what I am told, the rewards generally outweigh the downsides!
To Read Great Sex Advice:
- The Best Sex Advice on YourTango
- What American Men Can Learn From French Men About Sex
- Sex Video: How to Have a Female Orgasm