More than tragedy: Whitney's passing offers us wisdom we can apply in our lives right away.
It was September 2009 when a vibrant, yet voice-strained, Whitney Houston took the GMA stage to launch a promising and long awaited comeback. Surrounded by devoted listeners fighting to beat the heat with custom made Whitney Houston fans given out by GMA, Whitney's smile seemed to signify that perhaps she'd beaten the battle of alcohol and drug addiction that had been sadly shadowing this beautiful superstar's success. Believing she was ready to rise again, she shared her experiences with Oprah in 2009. Now less than three years later, Whitney is gone leaving us with the unforgettable light of her smile, the brilliance of her talent and our frustration over another unnecessary and tragic loss.
So what wisdom can we all take from Whitney's struggle and subsequent passing?
In these difficult economic times, we can see that money does not ensure happiness. Adoration does not ensure self confidence or love, and supportive encouragement by millions is virtually meaningless if we don't love ourselves first.
Putting you first is a powerful way to love you first. Here are 5 steps you can start applying right now to direct your life with power from the inside out no matter who you are, what you do or what you want from life:
1. Awareness—Envision what you want for you in your life, including how you wish to feel about you, the kinds of relationships you want, as well as how you wish to be treated by others. Then use it as your compass.
2. Accountability—Put yourself first by honestly asking yourself how your choices and actions on a daily basis relate, support or conflict with creating and enjoying the life experience you want. Who do you surround yourself with? What kinds of relationships do you choose? How do you treat yourself? Your behavior toward yourself teaches other people how to treat you. Use your awareness about you and what you want to determine whether the people and activities you're choosing match up with the reality you desire.
3. Face Your Fear Factors—Rather than something to conquer, your fears are something to explore. You can use them to boost your success. Examine the threats behind your fears so you can create strategies to deal with them instead of looking for ways to escape them. You'll deflate their power and increase your own simultaneously. 3 Fears That Keep You Single
4. Own Conflicting Temptations—Get clear about your weaknesses, temptations and tendencies that conflict with experiencing the results you want. Then "own" them by putting the people and strategies in place to help you stay ahead of them so they don't get in your way. Awareness is power. Use it to give you clarity about where you want to go, then use it to assess where any choice/action you're about to make will actually take you so you can make course corrections if necessary.
5. Recycle—Your personal experiences are an untapped university of knowledge and information just waiting to be utilized. Stuff happens. Instead of wasting time wishing it didn't, look at why it did and how you can use what you learn from it to leap forward. You can even recycle your ex into your greatest relationship ever! How To Use Your Breakup To Create The Love You Desire
Awareness is the best shortcut to relationship bliss with you as well as a love interest. Here are 5 more ways you can put you first with love by making time to check in with you about what you want, how you feel about getting it and whether or not your choices support you enjoying it. This will give you the precise information you need to make corrections, identify what you could use help with and prevent your fears or yourself from sabotaging your present and stealing your future. In the spirit of one of Whitney's most popular songs, vow to always love you. Visit me at my website for more straightforward and strategic tips that will have you living a life you'll love. Cheers to your best relationships ever!