Here is a wonderful YouTube video that we found by Lois Braverman of the Ackerman Institute for the Family on navigating differences for couples.
She describes 6 key things that all serious, long-term lovers should keep in mind if they want to grow together and deepen their sense of emotional safety and intimacy.
1. It's about navigating differences and accepting them. It's never about agreeing on everything.
2. It's easy to say, "This upsets me." But it's not so easy to talk about the deeper meanings that will enable you to become more understanding and more intimate with each other.
3. Marriage is like a small business that changes through the life cycle as we grow older. And like all small businesses, a lot of negotiating is required.
4. Don't try to solve the others problems. Just listen to their story. We all just want people to listen to our story.
5. Unresolved disagreements infect everything else. They lurk in the background like radio active half-life and ruin potentially good experiences without our even realizing it.
6. Rekindling romance can often be done with simple affectionate gestures and tenderness.
Like all successful, long-term strategies, these require a lot of effort.
Andre Moore, Director of Marriage Couples Counseling and Life Coaching in New York City
For More On Couples From YourTango: