Here are 7 important criteria to use in evaluating a Brief Solution Focused Therapist:
The therapist will:
More from YourTango: 8 Mistakes In Thinking That Lovers Make
1. Look for openings to help you discover solution building rather than problem definition language.
2. Encourage you to stretch more for each other so you can experience easier, more flexible give and take in your day to day relations.
3. Help you create new meanings and new ways of understanding old problems.
4. Encourage you to own your own agendas without hiding from each other or going underground.
5. Help you enjoy your own unique values, opinions and attitudes in a lively, spirited, on-going debate that makes for a more exciting and passionate relationship. The solution focused therapist should always help you to celebrate rather than hide your differences.
6. Focus on new ways of thinking instead of dwelling on old problematic ways and staying stuck in old conflicts.
7. Look for quick, actionable solutions over the course of 3 to 4 sessions.
More from YourTango: 21 Ways To Show You Care About Your Lover