- A Solution Focused Therapist will:Look for openings to help couples discover solution building rather than problem definition language.
- Encourage couples to stretch more for each other so they can experience easier, more flexible give and take in their day to day relations.
- Help couples create new meanings and new ways of understanding old problems.
- Encourage lovers to own their own agendas without hiding from each other or going underground.
- Help couples enjoy their own unique values, opinions and attitudes in a lively, spirited, on-going debate that makes for a more exciting and passionate intimate relationship. The solution focused therapist will always help couples celebrate rather than hide their differences.
- Focus on solutions instead of dwelling on old problematic ways of understanding and suffering through old conflicts.
- Look for quick, actionable solutions over the course of 3 to 4 sessions.
More important than any of the above, a Brief Soltuion Focused Therapist will meet with you the first time for 2 full hours in order to get the insights required to focus your therapy on solutions in the short-term.
Andre Moore, M.A., Director, Marriage Couples Counseling and Life Coaching in New York City http://www.marriage-couples-counseling-new-york.com/
More from YourTango: Why Sex In "Blue is the Warmest Color" Is The Gold Standard