Sisters before misters, yo.
Because that's what your BFF is: A sister. Even if you don’t share the same parents or blood type. As someone who's an only child, my best girlfriends were the closest I got to feeling like I had a sibling. Here are 10 reasons BFFS make life worth living:
1. Two is a party. Even if you’re staying in on a Saturday night with two Domino's boxes of medium-size pepperoni and bacon pizza, a liter of soda and Netflix, you’re having waaaay more fun than the people at the bar.
2. She’ll dance to all those lame pop songs with you. You secretly love Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Up” and your BFF does too. And during those night-ins together, you’ll gladly plug in your iPhone speakers, sing to your heart's content, and dance like maniacs, all the while upsetting your next-door neighbor, but you don’t care. #becausehatersgonnahatehatehatehatehate
3. She gets you. Something totally gut-wrenching happens in the season finale of your favorite TV show. You need to talk about it (or cry about it, depending on the severity). Even though your BFF doesn’t watch the show, she'll sit down and listen to you rant (How could the writers do this to us?!) and will lend a sympathetic ear (“Maybe they’ll bring Kevin back next season.”) After all, she knows that when her show has its season finale next week, you’ll be there for her.
4. She watches out for you. You guys take care of each other, plan and simple. She’s the one rushing to buy a box of Band-Aids when you accidentally cut yourself on the passive-aggressive Post-It your roommate left you. And you’re the one making sure she's stocked up on tea and honey because she always gets a cold the week before finals.
5. When you don’t feel like laughing, she’ll give you a reason to. Ever had those days when it’s just not your day? You woke up late, skipped breakfast, and ripped your favorite sweater on the way to a meeting you're already running twenty minutes late to. Not. Your. Day. Not to fear because your BFF will proceed to try her hand at stand-up comedy, suck at it, and consequently make you laugh because, well, she sucks at it. Good friend, that is.
6. On the rainiest of days, she's your umbrella. She’ll even give you one as a gift 'cause she accidentally broke that cheap $5 one when she borrowed it. And it will be in your favorite color.
7. She knows something's wrong before you even say it. Your date was a disaster, the guy was a total jerk, it’s raining and you can't find a motherf*cking cab. You call up your BFF. From the tone of your “Hello”, she can already tell something is wrong. And before you can even finish explaining what happened, she’s in her car on the way to you with a tub of Ben & Jerry's and ZERO judgement.
8. She keeps it real. Even if she knows the truth will hurt you, your BFF will always be honest with you. She’s not afraid to tell you to clean up your act if you’re acting like a spazz. (Because if she doesn’t tell you this, you’ll continue looking like a spazz.)
9. Distance doesn't faze your friendship. Sometimes, life happens. One of you moves away or you move to differenct cities and you just don’t have the time to see or talk to each other as much as you once did. But when you do grab 5 minutes on the phone, it’s like nothing's changed. You still call each other weird names, throwing popcorn at each other’s hair, and say 'I love you and miss you,' before you hang up.
10. She's your partner-in-crime. She's the Bonnie to your Clyde, the Ron to your Harry, the Harry Styles to your Louis Tomlinson. Whether it’s committing a state-by-state robbery scheme, defeating the Dark Lord, or fending off those pesky gay rumors (KIDDING!), you can bet she'll be at your side, no matter WHAT. And if you’re planning something a little more low-key, say egging the house of your asshole ex-lover, she'll be there, too.