Open relationships aren't for everyone, but these celebs reportedly engage in 'em.
Open relationships are tricky.
Not everyone, be it celebs or regular citizens, has the constitution to deal with the prospect of their significant other that they love having a side piece, even if they think they do and agree to be a part of an open relationship that allows partners to hook up with others.
An open relationship pretty much allows for, well, cheating. You can dress it up in any sort of semantics, but it let's call it what it is.
Comedienne Margaret Cho and her husband Al Ridenour were vocally in an open relationship, since Cho is an out bisexual and she and her hubby agreed when swapping vows that they didn't want to have sex with just one person forever since that's "gross."
"Gross" or not, Cho and Ridenour have split after 11 years of an open and non-monogamous marriage. We can't help but wonder what, exactly, doomed the union, since the one thing that usually sinks relationships is cheating or stepping out with someone else and they already agreed to be "open."
Cho and her soon-to-be-ex are not the only couple that has had nebulous and ambiguous parameters. There are plenty of rumors about celebs with loose interpretations of marital vows and equally loose rules on what they can and can't do and with whom. These are 10 famous couples who are believed to have open relationships. It's a modern, forward-thinking and progressive arrangement. But again, it's definitely not for everyone.
1. Margaret Cho + Al Ridenour
1. Margaret Cho + Al Ridenour: Cho and her husband had an open marriage for over a decade. An admitted bisexual, the arrangement seemed to work for them ... until they split.
2. Hugh Hefner + His Girlfriends
2. Hugh Hefner + His Girlfriends: Hef will never truly settle down, no matter what his station or status. Remember, Holly Madison and Kendra Wilkinson have careers because of their three-way open relationship with Hef and Bridget Marquardt.
3. Rachael Ray + John Cusimano
3. Rachael Ray + John Cusimano: The cooking queen and her musician hubby have denied the open-ness of their marriage, saying it's insulting to their families. But he was reportedly a patron at Checkmate, a swinger's club.
4. Robin Thicke + Paula Patton
4. Paula Patton + Robin Thicke: The "Blurred Lines" singer was asked about the nature of his relationshp during a Howard Stern show interview, but chose not to answer out of respect for his actress wife. Then, the marriage eventually imploded and he groveled to "get her back." It didn't work.
7. Brian Austin Green + Megan Fox
5. Megan Fox + Brian Austin Green: This sounds like an odd set up if it were indeed true. Word is that Green was not allowed to see anyone else, but Fox had permission to date other dudes. We cannot help but wonder if that arrangement has changed since they had two sons and since her career has cooled.
6. Tilda Swinton
6. Tilda Swinton + John Byrne: The unmarried duo has twins, but she has said that they both enjoy the company of others while remaining close. "It may seem odd but it is certainly the best thing for the children," the actress said. "It's not something I try to promote as a radical lifestyle choice. But it's a situation I find very healthy. I can maintain my life with my children and their father and spend time with the man I've become very fond of. I am very fortunate there has been a lot of understanding by the men." Progressive, indeed.
7. Pink + Carey Hart
7. Pink + Carey Hart: Rumors swirled that the singer and her tattooed hubby once had an open relationship but that they closed the door on that policy upon reuniting after a brief separation. #Drama.
8. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith
8. Will Smith + Jada Pinkett Smith: These long-married parents of two have spoken about the concept of love not being akin to ownership and there have been rumors that each may have strayed with others ... but that's only if you look at it as straying.
9. Dolly Parton + Carl Dean
9. Dolly Parton + Carl Dean: The voluptuous country singer has been married to her hubby since 1966. She has spoken about not wanting to know if any cheating is happening and has said if they do cheat and don't know about it, that's probably why their marriage works. Interesting theory.... sort of.
10. Mo'Nique + Sidney Hicks
10. Mo'Nique + Sidney Hicks: The Oscar-winning actress and her husband are BFFs and have known each other 25 years. Mo'Nique has said she would not end the marriage if he cheated and she also said that while they have an open relationship, she does not practice the open door policy. We are left to believe that perhaps it is he that does.