Bake some extra love into your relationship with these goodies for two!
By Lisa of Sweeterific
- 7 oz powdered sugar
- 4 oz almond flour
- 4 oz egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 3 1/2 oz sugar
- Red food coloring
1. Sift powdered sugar and almond flour together. Set aside.
2. In a mixer bowl, whisk egg whites on medium speed.
3. Once the whites become foamy, add a pinch of cream of tartar. Whisk on high-speed to incorporate.
4. Slowly stream in granulated sugar. Continue to whisk until whites reach a medium peak.
5. At this time, add food coloring and whisk to incorporate. Add as much or as little food coloring to get desired color.
6. Whisk until stiff peaks.
7. Fold in the dry ingredients in three additions and carefully fold with a spatula to incorporate each time.
8. Once all the dry ingredients have been incorporated with the meringue, transfer batter to a piping bag with a round tip (I used an Ateco 803 tip).
9. Pipe heart shapes on parchment lined sheet pans. Tap sheet pan against counter to remove any air bubbles. Allow macarons to rest 1 hour before baking.
10. Bake at 310ºF for 10-12 minutes.
11. Once cooled, fill macarons with buttercream.