Celebrity splits don't always have to be messy. Here are 20 pairs of friendly celebrity exes.
Celebrity splits don't always have to be messy, icky or ugly affairs with lots of mudslinging or drama.
Sure, the messier splits can lead to a whole lot of fun for media types like us or even for the rest of the world that might experience a tiny bit of delight in seeing a celeb and his or her significant other part ways in nasty fashion.
But there are plenty of friendly celebrity exes, like Sarah Silverman and Jimmy Kimmel, the funny former duo that came together to honor the late, great Joan Rivers on his late night show.
Silverman's current BF, Masters of Sex actor Michael Sheen, is besties with his ex Kate Beckinsale, with whom he shares a daughter. So remaining friendly with an ex is not that uncommon for celebrities, especially for those former pairs that had one or many children together.
Whether there is a deep love between two people who have parted ways or whether they are simply doing it for the kids or whether there is just the desire to save face and put on appearances while dealing with the public, the media and their images, these are 20 friendly former couples who lead by example.
Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder
1. Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder: They are also co-stars and while he's been seen with Nikki Reed, it's probably best for these Vampire Diaries actors to remain cool to avoid on-set awkwardness. Plus, they seem to dig each other as people, even though they are no longer lovers. They did make a good-looking pair, though!
Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin
2. Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin: This consciously uncoupled duo —not to be confused with SNL's "Ambiguously Gay Duo"— has been seen hanging out many times since splitting earlier this year. They have two kids together and lots of famous friends, like Jayonce, so it's probably better to keep it cool and cordial, as well as drama-free.
Denise Richards and Charlie Sheen
3. Denise Richards and Charlie Sheen: Like most friendly celeb exes, these two remain on good terms for the sake of the kids. But Richards has said they are great friends, too. She even took care of Sheen's twin sons with Brooke Mueller while he was winning, cohabiting with the goddesses and spouting off about his Adonis DNA. Lest we forget Richards and Sheen saw their marriage go kaput while she was preggers with their second daughter … so it wasn't always nicey nice in this relationship.
Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom
4. Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom: The genetically blessed pair remains tight since they only recently split and have their son Flynn, who is quite the looker, between them. Things could get ugly if Justin Bieber is involved. #WeHadTo!
Sarah Silverman and Jimmy Kimmel
5. Sarah Silverman and Jimmy Kimmel: They've come a long way from f—king Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, respectively.
Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie
6. Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie: They are often coy about their status, having split in January 2014, but they are co-parenting for the sake of their adorbs son Luca.
Courteney Cox and David Arquette
7. Courteney Cox and David Arquette: They've both moved on, as she is engaged to a rocker and he has a kid with someone else, but these two, who always seemed so right together, remain close friends and not just for the sake of daughter Coco. Arquette has said that they still love each other and are close, despite the marriage failing. If you miss their coupledom or when she was Courteney Cox Arquette, you can always Neftlix Scream for your Court x David fix.
Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake
8. Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake: They broke up yet eventually starred in the bawdy comedy Bad Teacher together. Total pros, right?
Jennifer Carpenter and Michael C. Hall
9. Jennifer Carpenter and Michael C. Hall: Life on the Dexter set was not marred by the real life divorce of these co-stars, thankfully! They met on the show, where they played a brother and sister. The whole dynamic, both professional and personal, between Carpenter x Hall is ... odd.
Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton
10. Angeline Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton: The name tattoo on her forearm is gone. So is the blood vial around her neck. Those have been replaced by six kids and a ring from new hubby Brad Pitt. But Angie still wrote the introduction to her ex-husband's autobiography. These two were at their weirdest when together. It was bound not to last.
Michael Sheen and Kate Beckinsale
11. Kate Beckinsale and Michael Sheen: The actress has been vocal about how much she loves having Sheen, the father of her daughter Lily, in her life as her BFF. Sheen now dates Sarah Silverman after ending his long relationship with Rachel McAdams.
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez
12. Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck: Long after the Bennifer hoopla died down, Jenny From the Block revealed that she and the actor communicate via email, discussing career moves and such. At least they survived Gigli. Actually, the hype surrounding their romance eclipsed and nearly killed his career. #Rebound!
Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony
13. Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony: The formerly married pair and parents of twins Max and Emme seemed to lose the romantic chemistry but not the fondness for one another. They even worked together on a reality show after they split!
Kate Hudson and Matt Bellamy
14. Kate Hudson and Matt Bellamy: These two used to be engaged but it sadly ended December 2014. The two still enjoy vacations together.
Photo: We Heart It
Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe
15. Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe: The two divorced in 2007, but they have stayed on good terms for the sake of their two kids. They still celebrate their kids' birthdays together and cheer them on at their sport events.
Photo: We Heart It
Bruce Willis and Demi Moore
17. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore: These two are great examples of co-parenting! The two have stayed on good terms for the best interest of their daughter, Rumer. When Demi was hospitalized in 2012 Bruce made sure to visit.
Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas
19. Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas: Maybe it has something to do with dating a Jonas brother that leads to friendly break ups but here's another one! Demi and Joe dated back in 2010, but they are still friendly to the point where she still tours with his brother, Nick.
Bruce and Kris Jenner
20. Bruce and Kris Jenner: This is a recent break up, but everything so far looks friendly. There are rumors that The Kardashians are behind his transition rumors, but there is no definite proof. Days after they announced their break up however, they had a family portrait that still included the patriarch.