We recently prepped ourselves for The Fault In Our Stars by reading the book before the movie's release.
It was beautiful, perfect, and we sobbed throughout its entirety. It's a love story that we haven't seen in a long time and shows that no matter how sick you are, you should be living your life to the fullest while you can. A good lesson for everyone to learn.
TFIOS comes out on June 6, so we put together 19 things that you should know about the movie in advance of buying your ticket. Don't worry, no spoilers here!
1. The story follows a 16-year-old girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster. She has stage four thyroid cancer and must use an oxygen tank to help her breathe.
2. She doesn't like when people pity her for her disease, and she won't let anyone close to her because she considers herself to be a ticking time bomb.
3. Her dad cries. A lot. Pretty much the entire book.
4. She meets Augustus Waters at a support group. He had osteosarcoma and had his leg amputated to save his life. He is now cancer-free.
5. Augustus is witty, charming, and tries to find a positive outlook, while Hazel is much more pessimistic about her disease and her life.
6. Obviously, they fall in love.
7. Instead of saying "I love you" to each other they say "Okay."
8. For being 16-years-old, they are extremely smart and cultured; far more intelligent than most people at that age!
9. Oh, and Isaac is Augustus' best friend. He has eye cancer and learns in the beginning of the book that he will soon need surgery, and will be permanently blind. He's also got a wide sense of humor about his disease though.
10. Hazel Lancaster is based off Esther Earl, a 16-year-old girl who passed away from thyroid cancer.
11. Author John Green met Esther when he worked at a children's hospital and credits her for giving him inspiration to write the book.
12. Speaking of John Green, he is an extremely famous YouTuber. He basically invented the "vlog" with his brother, Hank.
13. Also, John Green is perfect. You definitely need to know that before you see his movie.
14. Ansel Elgort plays Augustus. He's adorable and about to be a huge name. Recognize him from somewhere? He plays Shailene Woodley's brother in the Divergent series.
15. Oh, and Shailene basically begged the casting director to audition for the role because she is obsessed with the book. They almost didn't let her.
16. John Green said she came into the room and everyone was in tears by the end of the audition.
17. Even though The Fault In Our Stars looks depressing, don't worry, there are definitely tons of comedy scenes.
18. But, bring lots and lots of tissues. Seriously.
19. By the end of the movie you're guaranteed to look like this: