He's from where now?
The Most Interesting Man in the World, aka the Dos Equis spokesman who is often featured doing daring deeds with beautiful women, is one of the most delightful and enticing brand figures of the last several years. But who is the man behind the Man? We've done some digging and discovered 5 things you need to know about the life and loves of The Most Interesting Man in the World.
1. His real name is Jonathan Goldsmith, and he's a Jewish actor from New York. The Latin persona he uses for the Dos Equis commercials is the combination of a sparkling pair of eyes and Goldsmith emulating the accent of his late friend and sailing partner, Fernando Lamas (an Argentinian actor and director).
2. He is a graduate of Boston University. Leaving home at 17 to attend school, Goldsmith wanted to pursue a life as an actor, and went through BU before attaining his dream.
3. His wife is his agent. After marrying in 2006, beloved lady of The Most Interesting Man in the World Barbara Goldsmith has been acting as her husband's agent for years, and was actually the one to get him the Dos Equis gig. Clearly, he likes smart women with good taste.
4. He used to snag women from Warren Beatty. Goldsmith revealed in an interview with the New Yorker that in his younger days he knew that Beatty had a penthouse at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and would intercept Beatty's women in the lobby, saying, "Warren sent me down. I'm terribly sorry, but he had to cancel the meeting." Yeah, that's evil genius-level ingenuity right there.
5. He's a bit of a rascal. In the same interview, Goldsmith admitted to buying pocket knives for his grandsons "so they could cut off their seat belts." Naughty naughty!