Sometimes you just need to let go of the little things.
Welcome to 30 Days Of Love, our one-month initiative to bring you closer to the love you deserve just in time for Valentine's Day. Today, we're shining the spotlight on forgiveness — and its role in a fulfilling relationship.
Bernard Meltzer once said, "When you forgive, you in no way change the past — but you sure do change the future." While forgiveness isn't always easy, it's an integral part of everyone's lives; without it, it's nearly impossible to live a productive, happy life. And without forgiveness in a relationship, it's nearly impossible to have a healthy, growing partnership.
Here are some things — big and small — that you should forgive your partner for by Valentines Day.
1. Leaving the lights on. Yes, it's annoying and it drives up the electric bill, but we all sometimes let it slip our minds. Plus, he might have just forgotten because he was on his way to snuggle with you.
2. Speaking of which, don't get overly mad if he left the fridge open by accident. Close it and move on.
3. Spoiling the ending of Breaking Bad. You were going to find out the ending eventually.
4. Accidentally not introducing you as his or her partner. Yes, this can be frustrating to many people, but sometimes intros are awkward and proper "titles" don't get said; it's nothing to be too offended by.
5. The fight you had last week. This is a personal struggle for me, as I have a very difficult time forgetting recent hurtful words and tend to bring them up, which only progresses the argument further. Letting these things go allows the healing to begin.
6. Forgetting to call after he gets home from the bar.
7. Forgetting to call before bed, in general. Haven't we all had that moment where sleeping "five minutes" just seems so appealing, and we were sure waking up to talk would be easy? But then, naturally, it was not.
8. Leaving the dishes in the sink. They'll get cleaned tomorrow; it's not worth fighting over.
9. Not making the bed. See #8.
10. Saying something embarrassing while drunk. We've all been there.
11. Or worse, doing something embarrassing while drunk. Chances are, your partner is more embarrassed than you are. Provided he wasn't hurtful, cruel or deliberately malicious, then forgiving them for dancing a little too much in public is probably all right.
12. Forgetting an important date. Besides your birthday, which you can be totally mad about).
13. Reading ahead of you in Game of Thrones. You'll catch up.
14. Responding to his ex's text. Yes, this one takes definite context to determine whether or not it's something that's an issue, but if your partner just happened to respond politely or kindly to his ex if she was in need, then don't hold it against him. Being nice is one of the reasons you like him, right? So, he may just be trying to be nice to somebody whose well being he once deeply cared about.
15. Stealing the covers throughout the night.
16. Doing an ill-advised prank that you did not find particularly pleasant or funny. Example: snow down the back of the shirt.
17. Genuinely forgetting to disable his online dating profile. Obviously, if it was on purpose, then that's a whole other story; if it was an accident and no messages have been sent since your relationship began, then let him disable it and let it go.
18. Tagging an unflattering photo of you on Facebook. Detag and let it slide.
19. Falling asleep during sex. Yes, this is awful and yes, it is embarrassing, but if your partner has had an exhausting day, it's indeed possible and you should just let him sleep rather than making him feel terrible about it (provided it's not a regular occurrence).
20. Dating people before you two got together. Your partner probably went out with other human beings besides you prior to knowing, interacting with, and falling for you. Don't make him feel bad about this because it has very little, if anything at all, to do with your current relationship. Keep Reading ...
More juicy stories from YourTango:
- 25 Romantic Ways To Say 'I Love You'
- I Love You: 15 Ways Guys Say It Without Saying It
- 5 Ways To Be Happy About Your Love Life Right Now!