Clean it out for a fresh start!
You've broken up, you're trying to move on, but everywhere you turn, you're reminded of your ex — even in what's supposed to be the safe space of your apartment. Especially in the safe space of your apartment.
We so feel you.
But luckily there are things you can do to ex-boyfriend-proof your apartment to make it easier to move on. Because you deserve to be happy and healthy — especially in your own abode. We've come up with 7 steps you can take to make your living space an ex-boyfriend-free zone.
1. Delete, delete, delete: Your phone and computer are extensions of your space. Remove your exes' texts, emails, and other digital ephemera. You don’t have to permanently delete stuff, but you should make it difficult to access. Save the phone number in your email, but take it off your phone. Move his old emails onto an external hard drive and delete from your inbox. And wipe the old texts out of your phone.
Having those old reminders around are just going to drag you down and make it that much harder to move on. At some point, way, way, way in the future, you may be okay to look at the stuff, but now is not the time. Wait until it's ancient history before you troll his old letters and notes.
2. Rearrange: After a breakup, sometimes it's necessary to really reorder your space, especially if your ex spent a lot of time over at your place. Moving around your bedroom furniture, or rearranging your living room set up, can help you feel like there's a definite separation between then and now.
This is especially true if you and your ex actually lived together. Maybe you always wanted the bed by the window but he always hated having too much sunlight get in. Now's your chance! Take this as an opportunity to try new things and really empower yourself to explore new options in your space.
3. Redecorate: Now is also definitely the time to spring for some new bedsheets, towels, and a new comforter, if you can swing it. Half of getting over someone is dealing with the sense memories you have associated with them, and that's especially true when it comes to where you slept and had sexy times with someone. A new bedspread can do wonders to make you feel like you're starting fresh.
Read the rest over at StyleCaster: How To Ex-Boyfriend-Proof Your Apartment After a Breakup: A Complete Guide
More juicy content from StyleCaster:
- 6 Reasons To Try A Social Media Cleanse
- 7 Ways To Be Happy During The Bleak Winter Months Ahead
- Nope, Sorry: 12 Celebrity Couples Who Aren't (Ever!) Allowed To Break Up!