Side Dish: Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Fennel Apple and Pecans
By Colombe Jacobsen-Derstine of ColombeduJour.com
1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes (about 3 medium-3 cups), sliced into ½ inch thick pieces
1 large fennel bulb, cored and sliced into ½ inch thick pieces (reserve green fronds for garnish)
3 green apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¾ inch rounds
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/3 cup pecans, rough chopped
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Using a baking sheet or large ovenproof dish, toss the ingredients in the olive oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and spread in one layer.
3. Roast until sweet potatoes are soft on the inside, rotating occasionally. (About 40 minutes.) Remove from oven and sprinkle with Pecans, return oven for another 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve warm garnished with fennel fronds.
Side Dish: Spicy Roasted Acorn Squash
By Pamela Braun of MyMansBelly.com
1 acorn squash (seeds removed and cut into quarters)
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of chipotle powder
Pinch of kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Grated parmesan cheese
Toasted walnuts (crushed)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Brush the fleshy side of the squash quarters with olive oil and lay on baking sheet flesh side down (place quarters together to re-form halves of squash – this helps trap steam in the squash and keeps them from drying out while roasting).
3. Roast for 45 minutes.
4. While squash is roasting, mix the sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, chipotle, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
5. Remove squash from oven and turn over so that the skin side is down on the pan.
6. Lightly brush quarters with melted butter.
7. Liberally sprinkle seasoning mixture over all of the quarters.
8. Shave Parmesan cheese over top of the quarters.
9. Slide back into the oven for 15 minutes and cook until sugar has melted and cheese has browned slightly.
10. Remove from oven and sprinkle walnuts over each piece of squash. Serve! Keep Reading ...