Appetizer: Smoky Corn Chowder
By Mel of MelsKitchenCafe.com
4-5 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup diced onion or leeks
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen corn
3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 green onions, white parts cut off and discarded and green parts thinly sliced
1. In a 4 or 5-quart saucepan, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until golden and crisp. Scoop onto a paper-lined plate and discard all of the bacon grease except a very thin coating (about 1-2 teaspoons).
2. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent. Stir in the garlic, paprika and red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir in the corn, broth and milk. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Transfer half of the soup to a blender (very carefully - don't overfill the blender since hot liquids will expand while blending!) and puree until mostly smooth.
5. Return the blended soup to the pot and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Taste and add more if needed.
6. Serve warm topped with green onions and bacon.
Bread: Mini Cheddar Biscuit Muffins with Vanilla Honey Butter
By Lisa Huff of SnappyGourmet
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Vanilla honey butter (below)
Vanilla Honey Butter (makes 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Beat together butter, honey, and vanilla in small mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Serve butter soft in bowl, or spoon butter onto parchment or wax paper and roll up to form log. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer until cold.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 24-cup mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until well combined. In a separate small mixing bowl mix together milk, egg, butter, and vanilla until well combined. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in cheese. Spoon dough into prepared mini muffin pan.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve with Vanilla Honey Butter. Keep Reading ...