Dating someone who uses foul language like there's no tomorrow can be hard.
By Kerri Sheehan for CupidsPulse.com
Does your lover spurt off curse words like it’s his or her job? Dating someone who has a hard time forming a sentence that doesn’t contain an expletive can be very trying. Whether they’re embarrassing you in public, making it hard to you two to have intelligent conversations or losing their temper it’s not an easy feat to handle all of that bad language. Here are some tips about dating someone with a potty mouth:
1. Keep them calm: A lot of people only swear when they get super frustrated. Rather than express their feelings in another manner they choose to use cuss words to release their frustration. One way to keep your partner’s potty mouth clean is to help them be calm when things get out of hand. If a situation gets too high tension take your partner aside so they can cool off before they start running their mouth.
2. How much does it really affect you?: Think about your relationship as a whole. How much does their cursing really affect you? If they confine their swearing to when they’re at home then it’s really not that big of a deal. However, if they’re constantly cursing in public and making a scene then it’s definitely something that needs to be worked on. Picking your battles is important in a relationship because nit picking at everything your partner does will only create a rift between you two.
3. Don’t have a double standard: Should you decide that swearing is an issue that needs to be addressed, then don’t be hypocritical about it. Telling your partner not to swear means that you have to cut out any or most swearing that you do yourself. This will be easier for some than others. Practice what you preach so you’re not only setting a good example, but also maintaining your position about cussing.
4. Have a talk with them: If your date swears a lot it’s likely that they have a slight anger issue. This is pretty common but you want to make sure your significant other can keep their temper in check. No matter how long you’ve been with your partner, them having a hot temper can still hurt your relationship and even frighten you if they get too wound up. Nobody wants to be walking on pins and needles during an entire relationship. Let them know how you feel about the situation and see if they can tone down their temper.
5. Broaden their vocabulary: Swear words are used by a lot of people as sentence enhancers because sometimes they just make an expression sound better or more intense. To avoid this, introduce your partner to new words that they can use to replace any foul language. Once they have those new words integrated into their vocabulary his or her use of swear words can completely phase out within a few weeks.
Have you ever dated a potty mouth? Share your story with us below.