What's more romantic than a sunset proposal on the beach?
Katie Couric has some new jewelry to flash when her daytime talk show returns next Monday. That's because her Labor Day weekend was more romantic than most: she got engaged! John Molner, her love of the past two years, popped the question at sunset on a beach in East Hampton. How romantic!
Katie tweeted out a confirmation on Tuesday: "Yes it's true! So touched by all the kind Tweets & warm wishes-thank you! A great end to the summer & looking fwd to seeing you all Monday!!" The happy news comes 15 years after Katie lost her first husband Jay Monahan to colon cancer. While she found time to date around, none of her suitors proved to be "The One" ... until now.
Though she won't have the Carol Brady-style marriage she imagined when her daughters (Ellie and Carrie, now 21 and 17 respectively) were younger, Katie's ready to head down the aisle once again. But who is her betrothed? We've got the facts you need to know:
1. He's successful in his own right. Don't expect John to make a name for himself through Katie's TV connections since he's already head of mergers and acquisitions at investment bank and securities firm Brown Brothers Harriman in New York City.
2. While he may call the city home now, he's not a native New Yorker. But that's okay, neither is Katie (she's originally from Virginia). John hails from Chicago, which is a good thing according to Katie, who last year gushed to reporters, "I love Midwesterners!"
3. Are those wandering eyes? We sure hope John treats Katie with all the respect in the world, but according to an ex-girlfriend, he has a history of cheating. In fact, Katie may have been the other woman! When the two began dating, John's ex-girlfriend claimed that he was cheating with Katie. Yipes!
4. They've got a May-December romance going on. But before you start calling Katie a cougar, you should know the age difference isn't that large—Katie is 56 to John's 50.
5. They were probably headed for marriage right from the start. Okay, so we don't know this for sure, but Katie's last relationship ended because she was uncertain about their future and she's been vocal about wanting to remarry. It's not hard to put all of that together and assume she wouldn't get serious with someone unless it was headed toward some bling. And speaking of, while we haven't seen the pics to prove it, John got down on one knee with a "spectacular" diamond ring, according to People.
More exciting content from YourTango: