Hungry for some lovin' tonight?
When Chef Michael Symon isn't whipping up drool-worthy dishes on Food Network or co-hosting The Chew on ABC, he's preparing homecooked meals for his wife Liz. Jealous? We are!
More from YourTango: Who Is Nico Jackson? Is He Pippa Middleton's Fiancée?
To impress your someone special, this Iron Chef brought a romantic entrée and dessert to YourTango's kitchen. "These two dishes are romantic for me because they are recipes I make for my wife and with my wife," says the 5 In 5 author. Swoon!
Bring the passion into your bedroom, err, kitchen tonight with these two recipes:
Fluffy Biscuits with Strawberries, by Michael Symon
Part 1: Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in to small cubes and kept cold
- 1 cup Dannon Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt, plus more for brushing
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
• Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and lemon zest. Add the cubed butter and work it in to the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the Dannon Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt and milk. Then add it to the flour and butter mixture.
• Stir just until the dough comes together then knead it the rest of the way, being sure not to over work it. The dough will be slightly sticky when finished.
• Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and press it out to ¾ inch thickness then cut it into rounds, pressing straight down and not twisting. You can use a circle cutter for this or a drinking glass.
• Lay the biscuits out onto a baking sheet and brush the tops with a little bit of Dannon Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt then sprinkle them with sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until light golden brown.
• To serve, slice a biscuit in half like you are cutting open a hamburger bun. Spoon some of the strawberries along with plenty of their juices on to the bottom half. Spoon some whipped cream on top of the strawberries, and then top with the other half of the biscuit.
Part 2: Strawberries
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
• Combine all ingredients and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, until the strawberries release their juices.
Part 3: Whipped Cream
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
• Using the whisk attachment to your mixer, whip the cream and the sugar together in medium speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: 6 servings
More from YourTango: Celebrity Parents Share Their Most Cherished Holiday Traditions
Roasted Chicken with Cumin and Orange, by Michael Symon
- 4 skin on chicken breasts
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Dannon Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
• Season the chicken breasts with plenty of salt and pepper on both sides then place them in a gallon sized re-sealable bag.
• Whisk together the Dannon Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt, cumin, smoked paprika, orange zest and juice and garlic. Pour this mixture in to the bag with the chicken, seal and make sure all of the chicken gets coated. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 3.
• Remove your chicken from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking to take the chill off of it.
• Remove the chicken from the marinade, wiping off any excess and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Discard the marinade.
• Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil along with the chicken, skin side down.
• Cook for about 2 minutes, until the skin is golden brown then flip the chicken and place the whole pan in the oven. Roast for 25-30 minutes until the chicken has finished cooking through. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
• Slice and serve with creamless corn (can remove skin from chicken before eating).
Yields: 4 servings
More juicy articles from YourTango: