Reading and enjoying erotica no longer needs to be kept a private pastime. From self-help guides, cheap romance paperbacks, contemporary, thought-provoking novels to the hardcore down and dirty — sharing written erotica with your lover can lead to a whole new avenue for sexual dialogue as well as an inspiration for a whole new level of excitement, pleasure and intimacy. Now, who doesn't want that?
Buy, borrow or download these top 6 erotic titles, then take turns reading them with your partner until you both get revved up.
- Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by Anne Rice, writing as A.N. Roquelaure: This contemporary novel retells the age-old story and probes the unspoken implications of this lush, suggestive tale by exploring its undeniable connection to sexual desire. Indulgent and imaginative eroticism, a sure-to-be classic for years to come. Think: Disney on Ecstasy.
- The Story of O by Pauline Réage: It's a classic coming-of-age story with an erotic twist as the reader follows the female character awakening into the world of sexual submission. The unique direction this novel takes with the topic of BDSM is thoughtful while still being sexy.
- The Joy of Sex by Alex Comfort: First published in 1972 and now updated, this non-fiction (but truly classic) guide is for people who want to make their lovemaking richer and more exciting. Complete with elegant photos and drawings that capture in full, frank detail the intimacy of the act of love. If your man needs visuals then this book will surely keep him engaged.
- Dirty Girls, Erotica for Women by Rachel Kramer Brussel: Good for beginners dabbling into erotica. This collection will set your heart racing as you savor these intimate, shocking, and passionate female fantasies. It will assist in conversations about boundaries and sexual fantasies — and should certainly lead to some hot erotic sex.
- Anything for You edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel: This stimulating read is both for experienced players and those just discovering the joy of tying up your lover. Anything For You is a collection of sexy stories of uninhibited, adventurous sex by the county's best erotic writers. Each boldly-wrought tale shared with your lover is another door opened into the erotic mindscape.
- Deep Desires by Charlotte Stein. This story is about a shy heroine who comes into her own — erotically — by spying on her sexy neighbor, and being spied back on. Their dance of pleasure and seduction is drawn out perfectly. Easy to read and hard to put down.
Upping the kink factor in your relationship can actually be a great way for those of us who are more vanilla to break out of shells and experiment with something new. It can also be a way of feeling closer to our partner.
"This being said, there may be behaviors that you are just not open to doing and that is OK too," says Dr. Kat Van Kirk, a clinical sexologist, marriage and family therapist, author and host. Partners should have enough sensitivity to work you into these behaviors as well as be ok with some hard and fast boundaries. Many people into kink have learned to be very good negotiators sexually as very few people have exactly the same proclivities.