Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius made headlines during the 2012 London Olympics for being the first double-amputee track athlete to compete at any games.
Today, the “Blade Runner” is making headlines for a different reason. The athlete has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, a recent law school graduate, a women’s rights activist, popular model, and South Africa native.
More from YourTango: On-Screen Loves Leonardo DiCaprio & Carey Mulligan Off-Set Drama?
Hours before she was shot inside his South African home in the predawn hours, Reeva retweeted a message to her followers: “Wear Black This Friday In Support Against #Rape.” She was scheduled to give a female empowerment speech at a Johannesburg school, and was excited about the opportunity to speak out against violence—a known problem in South Africa where she resided. Here are some additional facts about the blonde beauty whose life was cut too short this Valentines Day:
• Reeva started her career as a paralegal after graduating from the University of Port Elizabeth. Her career as a model and reality TV star was about to take off.
• At 29, Avon chose Reeva’s face to represent the brand throughout South Africa shortly after her law school graduation.
• One of her last tweets to her thousands of followers asked, “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow?” Friends say she was looking forward to surprising Oscar, and some reports claim Pistorius may have mistaken her for an intruder.
• She was about to make her reality TV debut on an upcoming episode of Tropika Island of Treasure, a show combining ordinary people with celebrities on a remote island.
More from YourTango: 'Bro Code' ... According To Ben Affleck & Kanye West
• She was 30 years old when she was allegedly fatally shot four times by her lover.
More celebrity content from YourTango:
- 10 Hottest Interracial Celebrity Couples
- 8 Celebrity Couples Who Fell In Love At Work
- The Best Celebrity News And Gossip On YourTango