9. Be honest. Just as you shouldn't misrepresent yourself online, don't tell "little white lies" in person to make yourself more fascinating. This doesn't mean you need to tell them everything about you right off the bat. Maintain some mystery ... if you're interested in a second date, you don't need to reveal everything during the first one.
More from YourTango: Love Bytes: If His Parents Hate You, Should You Leave Him?
10. Go there. Being compatible isn't enough. There has to be some chemistry, right? To find out if there's a spark, you can't just talk about the weather. Yes, it's important to keep things pleasant, but that doesn't mean you need to avoid meaningful conversation. So ask some compelling but positive questions, like "What things make you happiest? What do you love about your work? What are the most important things in your life?"
11. Listen. When you're getting to know your date, don't be prepping your next thing to say while he's talking. Ask him a question to get him to expand on what he just told you. This lets them know two things: that you were paying attention and that you're interested. Try to keep the listening to talking ratio more or less 50/50.
12. Re-read their profile. Avoid any nasty surprises (like saying "hi" to the wrong guy or calling him the wrong name) by reviewing their online profile and all your previous conversations with him before meeting up with him. This will give you things to talk about and let him know you've done your research.
13. Display positive body language. If you want a second date, work those angles and show some encouraging body language. Lean towards him when he talks, make eye contact, smile. If you really like him, you will probably do these things without thinking anyway.
14. Ask for a second date. If you're interested in a second date, don't be shy. Ask for one. Say, "I had a really nice time and I'd like to see you again." Be fearless; like ripping off a Band-Aid, it's best to get it over with quickly. If rejection is coming, it's coming. But if you feel that spark, it's likely that he does too.
Good luck and enjoy!
More from YourTango: A Fool-Proof Guide to Saying "I Love You" For The First Time