Ricky Martin turns 41 on Christmas eve, so we're celebrating!
Where is our beloved Puerto Rican pop star, Ricky Martin, these days? He’s currently starring as Che in the Broadway revival of Evita — a role which doesn’t require he belt out too many romantic love tunes. But that is not the "Livin' La Vida Loca" singer we remember! In honor of his 41st birthday on Christmas Eve, we’ve decided to look back at his most dreamy and passionate lyrics over the years.
1. Time is precious and it's slipping away / And I've been waiting for you all of my life:
From “Nobody Wants to be Lonely”, Martin’s sexy hit single with Christina Aguilera, these lyrics say a lot. Despite Martin’s now open sexuality, for over 14 years in the 90s and into the 2000s, he had an on-again-off-again relationship with Mexican TV host Rebecca de Alba, whom he stated he was in love with. Allegedly, Martin talked of proposing to de Alba and starting a family with her. So it seems this song could be about wanting to settle down and begin a shared life with someone you love before it’s too late. De Alba and Martin, however, split for good in 2005.
2. I know I told you / I’d never love you the way that I did again / after all that you did to me / But I got to say I don’t care / I just wanna be yours…:
“I Don’t Care” was released in 2005, the year Martin and de Alba ended their long-term relationship. And it sounds to us that this song is a “please come back to me”/”take me back” ballad. And although those types of songs can sometimes lean more toward the pathetic side than the romantic, we think this one’s pretty sweet and that Martin was really hurting after losing his love of fifteen years, even if in the long run he was better off for going his own way.
Keep reading ...
More juicy content from YourTango:
- 5 Ways To STOP Complaining And Appreciate The Life You Have
- 20 Crazy-Romantic, Creative Ways To Say 'I Love You'
- Why Can't I Find A Relationship?