There have always been "super moms": women with the uncanny ability to wrangle the kids, maintain an entire household and still manage to be the life of any get-together. However, the super mom has evolved into something even more powerful and amazing over the years: a MOMtrepreneur.
The concept of a stay-at-home-mother owning and operating her own business isn't new but women everywhere are beginning to take the idea of working from home to an entirely different level, hence the MOMtrepreneur movement. As the name implies, a MOMtrepreneur is a mother who also works--typically from home while still handling the responsibilities and demands of the household and motherhood. If you're a mom with an idea, service or product you think consumers need and/or would appreciate, why not take the following 3 steps to make this vision a reality?
MOMtrepreneur Step #1: Make a Business Plan & Build Your Brand
Coming up with a business plan doesn't have to be complicated. There are tons of online resources with samples of what different types of business plans look like. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable customizing for your own purposes. Get your creative juices flowing by asking yourself questions like:
- What is your business all about?
- Are you offering a service or product?
- How does your business help consumers/why should consumers seek your services?
- Who is your target demographic?
- How will you run your home-based business?
- How much money will be needed to start your business?
With a basic business plan in place, the next step should be building your brand. People have to identify with your company and--most important--remember it. One of the most effective methods of branding is developing a logo design to go with your company name. You don't need to be a graphic designer to create a logo or spend thousands of dollars hiring a professional to get the job done. Companies like Logaster take care of the work for you at reasonable prices. They simply take your feedback/input and from there, a polished logo will be produced for your marketing and branding needs.
Having a professional website introducing potential customers to your business is another must-have for any MOMtrepreneur. Thankfully, the process of getting a website built is no longer a complicated, expensive task. There is no shortage of websites that allow DIY types to customize and build their own sites for super affordable rates, which don't even require any web design or tech experience.
MOMtrepreneur Step #2: Join the NAWBO (National Association of Women Business Owners)
We've all gotta help each other out! Belonging to a distinguished group like the NAWBO has a number of advantages, including but not limited to:
- Connecting with other women, many of which are fellow MOMtrepreneurs, whose interests and affiliations make for a strong community of supporters who have been there, done that and are willing to share their insights and influence for the benefit of other members
- Learning tricks of the trade as it relates to owning and operating your own business as a woman