Technique makes the difference between online dating success or failure
Online dating has flourished in the last few years. With hectic schedules and the frantic pace of modern life making it tougher to make time to meet new people, sites like POF.com are playing digital cupid. As part of a 10 session series on how to go from single to partnered, the CaughtMyFish.com series (originally published on Examiner.com) covers how one pair, Alex and Aggie, found love on POF.com. Thanks to an interview with Markus Frind, founder of POF.com, the relationship progression of Alex and Agggie's romance provides a template of how people can make online connections work. The following is an interview with Frind on how e-connections can bloom into a full fledged romance:
1) How come an e-connection can be just as real as an in person connection? When you connect with someone online, you can usually get a pretty good taste for their values, interests, and personality – which can translate into a very powerful connection between the right people! That said, meeting online is meant to facilitate meeting offline, so the initial connection is usually confirmed and hopefully elevated by a face-to-face meeting!
2) Is it possible to know if there is chemistry over the phone or chat? It is possible! If you have expressed interest with someone on POF and have decided to take your conversations to the telephone, it’s a natural progression! You get to hear the other person’s voice, have more in-depth and personal conversations – and organize a fantastic date of course!
3) What is the difference between an online dater who is honest versus someone who goes online just to collect e-flirts for their ego? The difference is in what they are ultimately looking for out of the experience! We have found that users who are open and honest in their intentions for a relationship will usually find just that. The best way to approach new online experiences is to go in with an open mind, be yourself, and trust your gut!
4) When making a connection, what are the key things to consider when writing a profile and reading another person's profile to optimize one's chances of it being a good potential? When writing your own profile, be honest! In a few paragraphs, touch on what interests you, how you like to spend your time, experiences that have helped shape you, or even a funny anecdote or personal story! The more you highlight your personality and what makes you unique, the more success you will have finding someone special who you are truly compatible with.
5) Does the ease of online dating help or hurt the possibility of meeting a quality person? How are testimonials like Alex and Agatha possible through technology? Is it the site or the two people involved? Is there a pattern that you have noticed? POF simply makes it possible to meet people you are compatible with who you might otherwise never get the chance to meet. We lead increasingly busy lives, and people shouldn't feel like they always need to leave their love life up to the possibility of a chance encounter. POF literally allows you to take things into your own hands, matching you with people you are compatible with, giving you the option to browse through local singles you may be interested in, and even letting you know which single people on POF are actually physically near you! The bottom line is of course it’s the two people involved who make up each success story special, but it’s POF that essentially allows these happy endings to play out as they do - and we feel pretty good about that.