No matter how old you are or how many dates you have under your belt, it always feels like the very first time when you’re seeing someone new. Whether you’ve nervously splashed sauce all over a white dress at dinner, or your potential partner’s name momentarily slipped your mind, date mistakes unfortunately do happen. Since not every date can be perfect, there are some things every gal should know not to do in order to be prepared for a first date:
1. Don’t try too hard: Sure, the goal is to impress the new guy that’s taking you out, but that’s not going to happen if you’re taking yourself too seriously. Ease up a bit, and don’t go out of your way to make yourself look good. It’s not wrong to talk yourself up a bit, but do it so that it doesn’t seem like you’re bragging.
2. Don’t talk about your ex: Whether you’ve been single for a while or just got out of a bad relationship, keep those details to yourself, especially on a first date. You and this new fellow are just starting to get chummy, so don’t throw off the good vibes by bringing past relationships into the conversation. It will only make him feel uncomfortable, so if he asks, “Why is such a pretty girl like you single?” be polite and give a short answer, not your entire dating history.
3. Don’t be a control freak: Suggesting your favorite restaurant for your night out will probably excite him if he hasn’t already picked a place. Still, it’s important to let the guy be the guy. He’s taking you out and most likely has plans of his own, so don’t be too pushy with your preferences. Relax and let him feel like a man. You don’t want to come off as being too intense or aggressive, so let him take the reins. It’s only for one night, after all.
4. Don’t forget to act like a lady: Use your manners and be polite. Even if you’re not afraid to be outgoing, it’s still very important to remain classy. If you’re at a restaurant, don’t forget to put your napkin on your lap and use your utensils. Maybe you don’t want to be the girl who just orders a salad, but avoid eating anything that’s inevitably going to find its way all over your face. You never know, he could be a potential boyfriend.
5. Don’t be a bad sport: Even if you’re not having the most amazing date ever, try your best to stick it out. Maybe you don’t have the connection you hoped for, but that doesn't give you the right to be rude and wear your disinterest all over your face. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and try to keep a smile on. On the other hand, if he happens to be a jerk, there’s no reason you can’t plan a proper escape. Either way, it’s essential that you give the night a fair chance.