Submit your original recipe for the next Engagement Chicken and win!
By now you may have heard about "Engagement Chicken"—the roast chicken recipe supposedly responsible for inspiring men to propose to their girlfriends. Well, we are on the hunt for the next Engagement Chicken... that is, some special dish which, when you prepare it for your sweetheart, inspires him to commit some specific, romantic act.
As part of our month-long initiative entitled "Breakfast, Love & Dinner," a site-wide campaign all about the intersection of food and love, we are launching a contest to find the next Engagement Chicken—a recipe that made your man fall in love with you, convinced him to move in with you or otherwise changed your love life in some significant way. You can check out submitted recipes here.
Originally called "Roast Chicken with Lemons," the original Engagement Chicken recipe was published in a cookbook called the Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. The legend began in the 1980s when Glamour magazine fashion editor and foodie Kimberly Bonnell recommended the dish to her assistant, who was looking for something to cook for her boyfriend. An engagement soon followed, as it did for other Glamour assistants who prepared the dish for their boyfriends. "Engagement Chicken" was born. Since the recipe was published in 2004, Glamour has supposedly received hundreds of letters from newly-engaged readers who said the recipe worked for them.
Do you whip up something special when you want something to happen in your relationship? Perhaps you know just the right dish to make when you are looking for a little romance, an apology or baby number three, despite your husband's (passing) conviction that you should stop at two? Do you have a great recipe for "Please Apologize Peanut Butter Cookies," "Kiss-Me Kugel," or "Let's-Have-A-Baby Burger"?
Submit your original recipe for the next Engagement Chicken and let us now how your dish has influenced your love life.
How to enter:
1. If you aren't already registered on YourTango, create a user account.
2. Use this submission form to enter your recipe (note: you don't need to create an original recipe, you can repurpose an existing recipe—just be sure to give the original source credit!). Be sure to:
- give your dish a clever name like "Engagement Chicken" or "Kiss-Me Kugel" and write this as the "Name of dish"
- include a picture of your dish or its main ingredient (images should be 480x360 pixels; additionally, please ensure you have the right to distribute the image you post)
- in 100 characters or less (roughly around 12-15 words) describe what kind of effect this dish has one one's love life; enter this in the "What kind of result will this dish have on one's love life?" field.
- enter your recipe in the Recipe field. Make sure you list ingredients as well as cooking instructions, PLUS that you share a couple sentences about how this dish affected your love life or that of someone you know.
- complete the word verification and you're all set!
- NOTE: fields marked with a red asterisk are required for submission (please note: if you aren't able to crop your photo to 480x360, please include one anyway)
How we will choose the winners: (Read on...)
More juicy content from YourTango: