Celebrity couples whose fame has negatively affected their relationships.
In wonderful world of Hollywood, maintaining both a long-lasting relationship and a fast-paced career is evidently a huge challenge. The jam-packed schedules and non-stop tabloid mania in the everyday lives of celebrities leaves us constantly wondering when the next split will be—the fact they are going to happen is a guarantee. Nasty rumors of deceit, unexpected flings with co-stars and stress from an intense life can make stardom a celebrity couple’s worst enemy. Unfortunately for these five celebrity duos, losing their battle to fame proved inevitable:
1. Kate and Jon Gosselin: Jon and Kate Gosselin first captured our hearts with their hit TLC show, Jon and Kate Plus Eight, which documented their hectic life as parents of sassy-yet-sweet twin girls and a set of adorable sextuplets. The Gosselins graced our television screens for seven seasons as they traveled the globe as a family, while we all hoped their marriage wouldn’t end like many of the reality star relationships that preceded them. But Jon and Kate proved no different as the show slowly revealed Kate’s exploding temper and ego while the tabloids unraveled Jon’s late-night getaways with other women. Years later, the two had one of the most public divorces in Hollywood.
Related: Hollywood’s Messiest Splits
2. Rihanna and Chris Brown: Rihanna and Chris Brown shocked the world when their relationship began in 2008. In our minds, the singers couldn’t be a more perfect match, as they’re two beautiful and unique voices with stunningly-good looks. Things quickly changed after an incident in 2009 in which Brown allegedly assaulted the female pop star. The two have made amends since then and rumors of a new relationship have spread, especially after the recent release of their song, “Birthday Cake (Remix).” But due to their long-lasting tabloid presence and heated past, we can’t help but think that a second try will end in disaster.
3. Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt: The split between Friends star Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt, her “Mr. Perfect,” was by far the most controversial divorces in the history of Hollywood. With Aniston’s glowing skin and Pitt’s captivating eyes, they always had America’s attention. It wasn’t until the 2004 production of Mr. and Mrs. Smith that things seemed to get off track. Pitt quickly fell in love with co-star Angelina Jolie while filming the movie, leaving him and Aniston’s happily ever after in the dust as rumors swirled of an affair. Jen filed for divorce in 2005 and Pitt almost immediately began dating Jolie. Now called “Brangelina,” the couple has six kids and have made their mark as one of the most powerful couples in Hollywood.
4. Kim Kardashian and Reggie Bush: Kim Kardashian bared it all for her E! show Keeping Up With the Kardashians, including her relationship with NFL star Reggie Bush. The reality show revealed their head-over-heels romance for several seasons. But after their final split, the unfortunate truth was revealed: Kardashian’s stardom was too much for Bush, who never seemed to adjust. Kardashian has since been searching for her fairytale: a guy who accepts both her and her lifestyle. She found love in her marriage to Kris Humphries, but that relationship ended after just 72 days. Now the star is happily dating Kanye West. Thankfully, the socialite seems to be taking her new relationship slow, because if there’s anything Kim has learned, it’s that fame comes at a high price.
5. Katy Perry and Russel Brand: California girl Katy Perry and British comedian Russell Brand began dating in middle of 2009. The two didn’t waste any time getting serious as news of their engagement hit the headlines by the end of the same year. And in just ten months, the couple was married. The world watched the pop-star and her new hubby closely as we formed our opinions on whether they would last. Fourteen months later, the pair proved all the doubters right. Russell Brand filed for divorce last December, citing irreconcilable differences. But between both of their busy schedules and separated traveling, it’s no wonder the pair couldn’t stand the test of time.