The romance between Twilight's beloved power couple Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson crumbled overnight in the most dramatic fashion after photos emerged of Kristen, 22, canoodling with married Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders, 41. Kristen released a statement confirming the scandal, stunning fans around the globe and ironically confirming her relationship with Rob, 26, for the first time.
"I'm deeply sorry for the hurt and embarrassment I've caused to those close to me and everyone this has affected," she said. "This momentary indiscretion has jeopardized the most important thing in my life, the person I love and respect the most, Rob. I love him, I love him, I'm so sorry." Kristen Stewart & Rupert Sanders Publicly Apologize For Cheating!
Rob has yet to comment, but the actor has already left the Los Angeles home he shared with Stewart and gone into isolation.
Fans have since turned to Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to express their disappointment and outrage, condemning Kristen and asking the same question: "HOW COULD SHE?!" But, before we put Kristen in the same category as Tiger Woods, Jesse James or John Edwards, let's keep in mind the reasons why we shouldn't be so quick to judge her for cheating:
1. Her heart is broken, too. Whether it's Kristen's fault or not, Rob isn't the only one who's devastated. The fact that the super private starlet chose to make such a heart-wrenching, public apology speaks volumes about how desperate and remorseful she must be feeling – and it's pretty hard to hate on someone who's heartbroken.
2. No one knows what really happened. Kristen and Rupert were photographed kissing and cuddling – no one really knows what (if anything) transpired beyond that. Period.
3. Rupert was her BOSS. An inappropriate relationship between a boss and his/her subordinate is prohibited for a reason: it poses a threat of conflict and takes advantage of the imbalance of power in the workplace. Often, an employee may give in to sexual advances out of fear of losing his/her job, or simply out of hope that the tryst may score him/her a promotion. Rupert was Kristen's boss and held a position of power over her. He should have known better.
4. She's young and naïve. Everyone knows cheating is wrong, but Kristen is only 22 and has been with Rob since she was a teenager (they reportedly first started dating when the first Twilight film was released in 2008). We all make mistakes, especially in our first adult relationship. It's in these situations of immaturity that we learn lessons we can carry throughout a lifetime – lessons that will teach us how to make our next relationship healthier and long-lasting.
More juicy content from YourTango:
- Experts Agree: Cheating Is Not About Sex [VIDEO]
- 4 Types Of Infidelity & How Affairs Help Marriage
- Why I Cheated