3. You're already a toxic-man magnet. If you think you can change a bad boy, find that you often feel sorry for the men you date, believe love conquers all, or have made up your mind that Mr. Right will look just like Prince Charming, you're a toxic-man magnet. Make sure your thoughts about relationships are realistic, because toxic dudes will prey on those who may have an idealistic approach to love.
4. You notice something, or he says something, that puts you off. Let's say the man you're with makes an unguarded remark that seems... just plain wrong. Your red-flag sirens should be blaring wildly, so you need to dig deeper. Forget asking surface questions that will not get to the bottom of the situation. Ask questions to prod him toward more revealing answers. The book suggests things like, "Excuse me, I didn't quite catch what you said," or, "What exactly do you mean by that?" If his answer is something that seems bizarre, say so. Just don't say that you're the one who thinks it, to take the judgment factor out of it: "I know someone who would really question that," or, "What do you say if someone tells you they find that hard to believe?" These conversations should give you tons of insight into your presumably (very) toxic man. 10 Dating Red Flags That Should Send You Running
5. He exhibits strange speech patterns. Backhanded compliments. Insulting you, and then saying, "Just kidding!" Talking like he's in a high-speed chase. Repeating part of your sentence before he answers a question, as if he needs time to manufacture an excuse. A monotone voice. All these speech patterns are indicative of a toxic man. If you hear any of them, beware.
6. You're beautiful, smart, talented, young, a mother, a teacher... No one is immune to a toxic man. No woman is too brilliant, too beautiful, too kind or too amazing to avoid these guys if she doesn't know the warning signs. Are you a talented pianist? A toxic man will never appreciate you. A genius doctor? A toxic man will not respect you. A kindergarten teacher? Be careful you don't take a toxic man under your wing, because you love to shape lives. Lesson: Don't think it can't happen to you. It can. 2 Traits the Most Beautiful Women Have in Common
7. Your appearance has changed. When you're dealing with a toxic man, you're storing negative emotions up inside you—but they don't stay inside forever. Think about someone who upsets you for a minute, and then look in the mirror. What do you see? Pursed lips? A rigid stance? A furrowed brow? You'll begin to appear this way if your relationship is turning into a nightmare. If friends start saying, "Are you okay? You seem upset," on a regular basis, you may want to check your man situation.
Have you ever been in a relationship with a toxic man?