16. Letting go is the hardest. Know when it's time to let go of someone you care about, and then be brave enough to do it. 3 Steps To Letting Go Of A Relationship That Is Not Working
17. Love isn't perfect. Sometimes, it's destructive. "We're going down, and you can see it too. We're going down, and you know that we're doomed. My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room." —John Mayer, "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room"
More from YourTango: Was Jesus Really Married? Christian Experts Sound In
18. You can't change him. "We may as well say good-bye because neither of us will ever be any different from what we are this minute." —Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
19. Loneliness is a part of life. "When I get lonely these days I think, 'So BE lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person’s body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.'" —Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love A Diagnosis For The Lonely
20. Go slow and put others first.
21. Don't be an emotional prude. "I don't want to be a sexual prude. But I wonder if by pretending that sex is emotionally and morally no-strings-attached, a person becomes an emotional prude. An emotional prude uses sex to escape the commitment and vulnerability required in genuine relationship."
— Tyler Blanski, Mud & Poetry
22. Love = Forgiveness. It's that simple. It's that difficult.
23. It's OK to be single. "We confer a lot of status and respect on people who are getting married… But there's nothing inherently more responsible or more admirable about being married. I'm thankful to be celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary this summer, but at the same time, I have a fair amount of friends whose marriages are ending—friends whose weddings we danced at, whose wedding cake we ate, whose rings we oohed and aahed over but that have been taken off fingers a long time ago." —Shauna Niequist, Bittersweet
24. It's worth it. My dad always told me that some of the hardest things in life would also be the most worthwhile. I'd say that describes love perfectly. 10 Dating Red Flags That Prove He's Not Worth A Second Date
25. Give love instead of seeking it out. "Love is an action. It is something I aspire to bring to the world, rather than something I feel that I am owed." —Jillian Lauren, Personal Interview
26. God is love; the biggest, best and most overwhelming kind. "God is an experience of supreme love." —Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
27. Love is everything. "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." —1 Corinthians 13:2 5 Places To Find A Smart Guy
More from YourTango: One Person Doesn't Really "Complete You" Or Your Marriage
28. Our sense of love is heightened in moments of sorrow.