Single? Looking for love? In an age of growing technology, relationships can now begin on the Internet. The Internet is a big place -- so where do you begin? Let us help: dating expert Julie Spira shares four ways to tailor your online dating profile to set you apart from the rest.
1. Join more than one dating site. Someone once said, "Fish where the fish are." Online dating sites like Match.com and eHarmony.com pack quite the love punch: over 120 million people are looking for love online worldwide every month according to comScore. Other great options: OkCupid and Plentyoffish.com.
2. Join niche dating sites -- it's an easy way to instantly make sure you have something in common. "It can be anything from veggie dating to Date My Pet to Date My Sch ool if you want to date another alumni from the school you attended," Spira said.
3. Have a catchy screenname. "Mine was 'Piano Baby' because I played the piano," Spira said. "[A catchy screenname] makes it easier for a gentleman to write to you. It allows somebody to be able to ask you a question about your personality."
4. Brighten up your photo. Nix the LBD and go bold and bright. "We all have closets filled with perfect little black dresses that we like to wear on dates, and I say toss it away for your profile photo," Spira told genConnect. "Because if you're in a black dress and five hundred other women are in a cute black dress, you are not standing out."
In addition to helping people find love online, Julia also warns people about the perils of online dating.
For more from Julie on genConnect:
- For more daily expert updates, follow genConnect on Twitter and Facebook.
- To stay on top of the latest contributions from experts: Sign Up for genConnect.
About the author:
Cyber Dating Expert and author of the best-selling online dating book, The Perils of Cyber Dating, Julie Spira, answers woman's perpetual question: How can I tell if he's looking for a relationship or just a hookup?