- When you use contraception during your fertile time, your chances of getting pregnant are considerably higher. And infinitely higher than when you practice NFP and find other ways to be intimate during these times (no, that does not mean only oral sex in case you're wondering).
- The negative health impacts of hormonal birth control in any form are a very serious manner. You really should check out the facts about not only the immediate side-effects you may be experiencing and not even know it, but the long-term risks to your body. Is The Pill Harmful?
- Despite our skewed modern perspectives, the idea that women should be ready and willing to have sex at all times is not a "natural" condition. Our modern contraceptives make this seem like an ordinary thing, but this is not how life was lived prior to 50 years ago.
- There's a reason you see so many ads for contraceptives everywhere...it's a huge money-making industry, and your doctor is likely part of it. It might make sense to get some perspective from someone who is not profiting from your family planning decisions.
- The pill makes your body essentially feel pregnant, so while anti-NFP advocates thinks that is being "robbed" of sex during your peak fertility days is unfair, you must keep in mind that you never actually feel that real, natural peak fertility because your hormonal contraceptives rob you of it. You're robbed of a true sexual cycle.
3. Misunderstanding the Idea of Healthy Sexuality Within Marriage. This is probably the biggest frustration I have with Lenz's anti-NFP article in particular. My wife and I have always been close and shared a special bond. After all, we got married and have been a happy couple for many years. However, when we started learning about Natural Family Planning and then started to put it into practice together, we grew closer on a level that I never knew was there.
When you can talk about the intricacies of your wife’s fertility signs (because you've bothered to learn them) and interpret those signs by her side (because you really care), you have a good bond. And when you do this day-after-day and month-after-month through challenging times and in the face of cynical friends (and even family), you have an incredibly close bond that only you can share. And when you come to the realization that sex truly is intended to be a religious experience (and you have experienced it that way), you have formed a bond that you actually didn't know was possible. You just don't get that from a condom. Spiritual Sex: 10 Erotic Commandments
More from YourTango: The Best Kept Secret About Mind Blowing Sex
You can read more about how NFP can help your marriage here: How Does Natural Family Planning Benefit Marriage?