- Sit or lie down in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe deeply, paying attention to every breath. Imagine that with every inhale you are taking in light and positive energy, while with every exhale you are expelling all your stress and anxiety.
- Visualize a beam of white light entering your body through the top of your skull, allowing the light to course through your entire body.
- Pay attention to each part of the body to which the white light travels, allowing it to relax and soothe every muscle, cell and fiber.
- Let the light leave your body via the soles of your feet.
- Now visualize yourself standing in the middle of a room and gazing into a mirror, allowing the mirror reflect the image you desire to see.
- Now imagine your image stepping out of the mirror and embrace your mirror image, allowing it to dissolve into you.
- Take a few more calming breaths and relax.
- Open your eyes slowly.
Although this visualization exercise might appear somewhat abstract, you will begin to decipher its hidden messages if you pay close attention. For instance, while the mirror reflects reality, you can’t see yourself as you really are because of your negative body image issues. But this exercise requires you to let the mirror reflect the image you desire to see. And although this image may not be completely congruent with reality, over time it can raise your self-esteem rather than destroy it; consequently, you will begin to like what you really see in the mirror even if it doesn’t conform to your previous ideals of what represents perfection.
Most importantly, remember that we are all blessed with beautiful bodies – and we can be comfortable in our own skin even if they don’t meet society's ideas of perfection.
Until next time, embrace your inner wisdom.
More from YourTango: The Meat-Free Zone: What Guys Really Think… Of Vegetarians