Pinkee here~ Ok, now I am about to say something that is potentially very controversial (but you know I thrive on that kind of thing). God did not invent monogamy or, for that matter, marriage- humans did. I’m not telling you not to be monogamous. You surely can and may choose that if it is what feels good and right to you and your partner. I’m simply suggesting that you make the choice (and, well, all of your choices) from a place on consciousness rather than default.
Have you ever thought about it before? Why have you chosen monogamy and/or marriage? Is it because you really thought about it and decided it was right for you? Or, is it because you never thought about NOT making that choice because it was drilled into your head from a very young age that it is what people DO. I know I, for one, chose to get married without ever thinking about any other options. I always knew I would grow up, get married, and have kids. That is what people do, right? (Ok, I changed it to kid, singular, once I got the shock of what it is really like, but basically I did it!) Then I got divorced, not because I didn’t believe in marriage, but because I was deeply unhappy. Then I couldn’t wait to get married again. Then I started to think for myself. And I’ll tell you, I would never say never, but I would be willing to bet my life that I’ll never get married again.
Why? Because I have learned some things. First of all, I have learned that I get to make up my own life, not follow some prescribed path set out for me by society. Also, I learned that literally every holy book on Earth was, indeed, inspired by God, and then manipulated by humans for their own gains. For example, when Constantine was Emperor in Rome, he saw that many people were drinking, having orgies, and not therefore doing much work or filling the coffers with tax money. He immediately ordered his men to rewrite the Bible and give the clear message that sex is sinful. He had to get ‘em where it counts. He threatened them with hell and the deprivation of eternal life. All for doing something that is completely natural and in fact sacred. And it worked. He put a stop to all that carrying on.
Human beings, not God, made up the concept of “holy matrimony”. Human beings, not God,
made up the concept of monogamy. Look around you. Scientists are discovering, with the invention of DNA testing, that many of the animal species they previously supposed were monogamous, ARE NOT. Animals don’t have religion and manipulation and guilt. They simply do what’s natural to them. A very few animal species are still thought to be monogamous. Just as a very few (about 5%) of humans are naturally inclined to be monogamous. But if the other 95% are square pegs trying to fit themselves into round holes, it is no wonder that the rates of infidelity are so high. It’s not because we have a society full of “bad” people. It’s because we have a society full of “good” people expecting themselves to pull off something that is contrary to every fiber in their being.