5 Signs That George Clooney May Actually Commit
Recently there have been all kinds of tabloid rumors working to put a chink in the bond between George and his stunning Italian amore-du-jour Elisabetta (sex and drug scandals anyone?). Though Elisabetta has chalked a lot of it up to envy (okay, we’ll admit we’re a little jealous but seriously…that wouldn’t cause us to implicate her in a drug debacle), later this summer there was also a flurry of speculation that E and G were about to become EG (in other words, they were possibly EnGaged).
While more recent reports have explained that the reported left-hand ring flash was actually a napkin ring with which she was playing at dinner (on her left hand while waving it to the paparazzi…ummm…okay, whatever), the reality is that there may actually be some validity to the idea that good ole’ George is in a commitment frame of mind when it comes to his latest gal.
Here are some signs that George (and any man for that matter) may be ready to commit that go beyond how ridiculously stunning Elisabetta looks like in a bikini:
1. He makes room for his woman in his home and his life: In George’s case that means that Elisabetta has been spotted frequently at Clooney’s Lake Como villa. Any man that welcomes a woman into his home with such open arms is exhibiting commitment-mindedness.
2. He takes the relationship public: In the non-celeb world, this usually means that a man is willing to tell all his friends, family, coworkers about the lady in his life. In George’s case that also means telling the tabs, the Oscar voters and the red carpet mavens. So, it is wise for him to remain mum on a gal unless he’s serious. George has shown no qualms about displaying his affection for Elisabetta on a very public stage.
3. He has a sincere desire to please and make his woman happy: Elisabetta was quoted recently in Italian Vanity Fair stating “I feel good, I feel light. Like when I was 18 years old.” She goes on to add that George pampers her like she’s never experienced before and that he is the person to whom she owes the color that is back in her life. He is clearly working to make this woman happy.
4. He is supportive and complimentary: In that same interview, Elisabetta said that Clooney is very supportive of her and always close. A man who is there for and builds up his partner is definitely more commitment-ready because he cares about his partner’s sense of self and well-being, not just his own. “If you feel loved, you always feel beautiful,” she says. Ah, well put. And if Elisabetta is feeling that kind of love from George then he’s clearly invested in this relationship.
5. He recognizes that he can be independent and in a relationship at the same time: One reason George has previously said that he’ll remain a confirmed bachelor is that he always felt the women he was with didn’t understand the demands of his work and how it might take him away for long stretches. However, with Elisabetta, George seems to be comfortable since she’s clearly independent and strong enough to stand on her own two feet if he has to go away. Though marriage may not be the end game here, George is exhibiting signs that this woman will be in his life for more than a blip. Sorry to all you Mrs. Clooney hopefuls out there, but the signs (for now) seem to be lining up in Elisabetta’s favor.
Kimberly Dawn Neumann is a New York City–based dating/relationship writer and coach whose work has appeared in such publications as Cosmopolitan, Maxim, Marie Claire, and online for Match.com, Yahoo, AOL, MSN, and iVillage. She is the author of two books, The Real Reasons Men Commit and Sex Comes First and an advisory board member for CanDoBetter.com. Her blog-zine is Dating Diva Daily.