Is prejudging blocking your love connections?
How often do you prejudge?... Do you know you prejudge?
More from YourTango: Love After Tragedy: Boston Marathon Victim Proposes To His Nurse
Typical scenario Blind Date/First Date Head Drama:
Your friend sets you up on a blind date. You are curious and want to find love so you go. You pull up already anxious and guarded thinking that this person may not be what you want. You walk into the restaurant and there standing in front of you is a man/woman waiting for you.
Do you automatically find faults with the person before you even have a conversation?
Are you approaching the situation with an open heart?
Prejudging might be standing in your way if you:
- Reject your date because of what they say or do
- Automatically think they are not what you expected
- Reject them because they are not your typical type
For those of you in a relationship, do you anticipate how your partner is going to react and change your way of interacting based on these notions…
Prejudging in relationships exists if you:
- Assume you know your partners motives and assign meaning to their comments and behaviors
- Automatically know ( or think you know rather) what the other person will say and how they will react when you have a conversation or consider bringing up a topic.
Prejudging is a form of sabotage. Prejudging blocks you from being close and connected in the moment.
This habit is a sure proof way of blocking any potential for chemistry &/or intimacy.
What to do if you prejudge:
- Ask yourself, “What would happen if I suspend judgment and did not allow my assumptions to control my behavior and influence this moment?”
Try it, suspend judgement
More from YourTango: A Lesson In Love: 7 Reasons You Need To Start Dating A Teacher
Allow yourself to expand your capacity to be fully present, suspend judgment and sustain a connection with this person in front of you long enough to prove your yourself wrong. The goal is to be open to the possibility that you may not have all the answers and that your ideas about who is right for you may be wrong. This makes you available and empowers you to open your heart to all situations of love. Then, you won’t get detoured by self imposed roadblock(s) and will be free to create a true to a love connection.