9. People will abandon online dating in favor of matchmakers. The singleton shares this social media relationship angst as well. In 2011, expect to see more romantic hopefuls reaching out to family and friends for relationship connections and blind dates. "Young clients in their 20s feeling disappointed and disillusioned about their experiences with online dating tell me they're giving in to the possibility that family and friends might hold some potential that they will now consider," says Sharon Gilchrest O'Neill marriage/relationship therapist and author of A Short Guide to a Happy Marriage. "Hearing this from clients has me suggesting it to others in therapy and, unlike years back, I'm not getting the immediate, absolute 'are you kidding?!'"
10. Astrology will prove prescient. Getting back to astrology detective Michelle Perrin, there will be a number of major planetary shifts in 2011. These planets will be moving into signs that are more suitable for their energies. According to Perrin, these are the main trends in store of 2011, which line up with what our non-astrological experts are predicting:
- Commitment will be in; casual sex will be out.
- We will move away from relationships that are based on fear and need of security, or anxiety about being judged, to truly authentic relationships that are unique and liberating.
- Men will step up and take a greater role in the partnership dynamic.
- Love will be based on fun, adventure and spontaneity.
- There will be a decline in Internet dating (and a rise in mobile dating?).
So there you have it! Both the stars and the experts are predicting that Mr. Right may not be handsome, but that doesn't matter because you won't be judging him based on an online dating profile. He may have even been clued in to your whereabouts by your well-intentioned (but worried) mother. And yes, he does want a relationship... an exclusive relationship that will be more than a status update, but one for the ages, too. Bring it on 2011!
Photo Credit: iStock.