Holy crap, we're in the middle of a crisis, y'all! Manliness is under attack! According to way too many articles to count in the last few months, men have turned into big, fat, commitment-phobic pansy asses. In an essay (via Jezebel) featured in an upcoming book about conservatism, Proud to be Right, Katherine Miller writes:
America's elite has a problem. It's skinny jeans and scarves, it's Bama bangs and pants with tiny, tiny embroidered lobsters, it's Michael Cera, it's guys who compliment a girl's dress by brand, it's guys who don't know who bats fourth for the Yankees. Between the hipsters and the fratstars, American intellectual men under the age of twenty-five have lost track of acting like Men—and these are our future leaders. We have no John Wayne, no Clint Eastwood. And girls? Girls hate it.
Look, I'm not going to argue with the fact that I've been disappointed by many of the men I've dated over the last few years, who seemed to lack backbone, common courtesy, and resourcefulness, three attributes, by the way, that I like seeing in other women as well. But this idea that dudes wearing scarves is a sign that manliness has gone the way of the dinosaurs? I don't buy it. Here are 30 manly things I love that, as far as I can tell, haven't gone anywhere.
3. Hairy chests The Frisky: I Heart Chest Hair
4. That they don't always know the difference between a dress and a skirt
5. Muscled calves The Frisky: 22 Celebrity Calves—And I Don't Mean Famous Baby Cows
6. Cute butts
7. BVD underwear The Frisky: 22 Famous Hot Men In Their Underwear
9. Their unwavering allegiance to bar soap
10. Button-fly jeans
11. Tube socks
12. The desire to take things apart and put them back together
13. Speed Stick deodorant
14. The way he says "babe"