A relationship breakup is a serious, earth-shattering moment that in most cases leads to a long road of emotional recovery. So, why did Berger think it was even REMOTELY OK to break up with Carrie Bradshaw... on a Post-It? Guess what Berger—it wasn't. And it's still not.
Before we get to our Top 10, let's acknowledge first that there are serious long-term marriages and relationships that end horribly, with lying, infidelity, abuse, and even breaking the law—and that those breaks are significantly more intense than what we're talking about here. This list covers the ways to break up with someone that movies are made of, the ones that you can pass along to friends with the "can you believe!!!???" disclaimer, and the ones that hopefully, someday, you'll look back on and laugh about.
We asked our BounceBack members, who have been through some of the worst breakups and divorces we've ever seen, to tell us the worst ways they've been left to pick up the pieces and move on.
Some stories are hilarious, some crazy, some embarrassing, and some, truly unbelievable. We've forgone some of the specifics and categorized everything we heard into the 10 worst ways. From what was said to where it went down, this is probably only the tip of the iceberg - so let us know your worst breakup story!
The 10 Worst Ways to Break Up With Someonne
10. ON VACATION: Who would you most likely want to be stuck on a deserted island with? Not someone who's just told you "it's not working out," we're quite sure. Not only have you now wasted your time and money, but you can't leave the situation easily without added plane fares and stress. If this happens to you, break away and turn your trip into a rejuvenating self-improvement retreat... you'll need it.
9. IN A TEXT MESSAGE: Ah, the text. The modern-day version of the Post-It. Too wussy to do it in person? Text away, wuss.
8. ON FACEBOOK: Nothing like logging on to find your loved one tagged in a compromising photo with a complete stranger...to you, at least. Why this is called the "World Wide Web" and some people can't figure out how they got busted is beyond us. Besides, it's way too trendy these days - be original, people!
7. AROUND THE FAMILY: Don't make it a family affair - you'll seriously regret it. Whether at a sibling's wedding (see #6), a family vacation (see #10), or meeting the family for the first time (really!?), this one is clearly ridden with minefields that will lead to nothing but trouble. If this happens to you, at least you've got your "people" nearby to protect you, support you, and promptly kick your brand-new-ex to the curb.
6. AT A WEDDING: The wedding. The defining moment for any couple. The pinnacle of celebrating relationships and love. The day they'll remember as the best day of their lives. Forever. Guess the pressure got to you, huh?