- Fire up the broiler
- Toss the beets, oil&garlic together in a broiling pan
- Broil the beets until tender, about 10 minutes, but keep an eye on them.
I also wanted to try the beet greens. I'd heard they were bitter, so I wanted to make some sort of sautéed bitter greens dish.
- stalks and leaves of the beets, chopped into smaller, edible pieces.
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- Blanch the greens in a boiling pot of salted water for 10 minutes, until the stalks are tender.
- Drain the greens and press until they are dry.
- Sauté the garlic and onions with the oil in a skillet until the onions are transparent.
- Add the blanched beet leaves and sauté.
I served the beets on top of wild rice, and also a Red Machine Naked Smoothie with additional omega-3s. Afterwards, I was very satisfied. I saw the boyfriend a few days later, and he more than made up for whatever it was I was annoyed with by treating me to a Saturday morning round of Frolf (or disc golf, as he likes to call it). We were back to being adorably happy together, chasing after frisbees and squirrels on the Frolf course, the left over beets sitting cool in the fridge.7 Ways To Stay Happy (All Year Long)