1. Thou shalt not choose date night to break in new pumps. The moon is bright, the air is cool, you’re walking hand in hand...and then you’re hobbling down the street, death-gripping his arm, whining that your feet hurt. This date fashion commandment is here because we’ve lived it and learned it...more than once. If you haven’t yet broken in a new pair of heels, or know for a fact that a pair you have gets uncomfortable about 15 minutes into wear, spare him and yourself, and choose a pair that’s cute and comfortable.
2. Thou shalt listen to your mother: don’t hide your pretty face! Natural makeup is in this season...and for good reason: it looks better! We love a smoky eye as much as the next girl, but we're not surprised guys don't dig makeup overload. Raccoon eyes make it hard to gaze into your eyes without being assaulted by black liner, and goopy gloss layered over bright lipstick doesn’t exactly invite a kiss (think about it: would you want to kiss you? If the answer is no, remove a layer of lip goo.) 5 Steps To The Natural Makeup Look That Guys Love
3. Thou shalt not wear impossible lingerie. If your date is bedroom-bound, do him a favor (at least the first couple of times around), and don’t scare him with complicated lingerie if you don’t know how to operate it. Straps and ties and buckles can be sexy, but not if they require the help of a locksmith to remove.
More from YourTango: Three's Company: 8 Valuable Lessons From Having A Threesome
4. Thou shalt not come straight from work. Making the desk-to-date outfit switch will help you make the desk-to-date mental switch. Don’t happen to have a walk-in closet in your office? Spice up a work outfit with accessories. A statement necklace, pumps instead of flats, and an unbuttoned top button is a good start. If you’re wearing a dress, try a waist-cinching belt; if you’re in pants and a blouse, it easy to pack an evening-appropriate top in your purse to change into. 6 Desk To Date Style Dos and Don'ts
5. Thou shalt own a go-to date dress. Sometimes, the stars align...against you. You’re PMSing, bloated, and grumpy...and hardly in the mood to try on outfit after outfit. Your best weapon: a go-to dress that fits no matter what. A basic LBD will do the trick: dress it up with colorful pumps, a bright bag, and one-of a kind jewelry. 3 Must-Have Sexy Little Black Dresses
6. Thou shalt not squeeze into too-small sizes. There’s no faster way to ruin a date than to spend the night pulling and tugging at your outfit and practicing not breathing too deeply for fear of a popper button. The sexiest thing you can wear is self-confidence...and that’s tough to pull off when you feel too big for your clothes. Remember: your clothes need to be able to fit you (as you are now, not 10 pounds ago), not the other way around.