The dudes have spoken: their favorite hairstyle on a woman is thick, long waves—think Blake Lively's California girl mane. But if you're not naturally blessed with cascading surfer-girl waves—or can't afford Lively's stylist—you can still get the sexy beach look that men love, at home in 5 easy steps:
1. Deep Conditioner: The key to this wild beach look is maximum wave and minimal frizz. This starts with healthy, moisturized hair. If your hair is fried from chlorine and sun, start by deep-conditioning it: Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Treatment is a great option under five bucks. If your hair needs a little more TLC, consider popping by your hair salon for a wash-and-dry and treat yourself to a deep conditioning treatment for a little extra.
More from YourTango: Did Your Parents' Marriage Affect Your Intelligence?
2. Thickening Mousse: This look is all about bounce, waves, and sexy volume. If your hair needs a lift, prep it with thickening mousse post-shower. We swear by Got 2b's Fat-Tastic Plumping Mousse—just run a handful from roots to ends of damp hair, and comb through.
More from YourTango: It's Been A While? 7 Songs That Perfectly Describe Your Love Life
3. Surf Spray: Lucky for us, hair brands have figured out that we love beachy waves... and love to get them without dunking out heads in saltwater. A few spritzes of Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray on still-damp, towel-dried hair does the trick—it'll transform even the straightest strands into surf-chic waves. 5 Hair, Nail And Makeup Tips From A Guy
4. Heat: You've coated your strands in thickening mousse and surf spray; now lock it all in with a blast of hot air. Flip your hair upside down and blow dry, sans brush. Scrunch hair with your hands as you dry, but don't go too crazy: manic scrunching will lead to frizz.
5. Shine Spray: You've plumped, scrunched, and dried your way to beach waves! Things looking a little scary in the mirror? The secret to beach waves that look sexy and sun-kissed, not sun-fried, is a little shine. Stay away from serums, which can end up flattening the look you worked so hard to create. Spray will go on lighter, adding shine without grease. Or favorite is Arrojo Shine Spray. The grease-free formula adds gloss and eradicates any frizz you may have created during the blow-dry, without weighing down volume. 5 Sexy Summer Fashion Trends Men Love