Unfortunately, this is not a fairy tale. The cookies did not bring me a prince on a white horse carrying my missing wisk ... but baking let me meet a bunch of new guys and become closer with some old ones. Most importantly, it allowed me to find a way to cure my inevitable heartaches. The Frisky: The Top 10 Things You Learn When You're Heartbroken
If baking sounds like good therapy to you, then here's the recipe to for my totally irresistible chocolate chip banana bread. But if baking doesn't sound like the way to cure your heartache, what does? Let me know in the comments.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Makes 2 loaves (24 slices each)
You will need two loaf pans (9" x 5" x 3" each), greased
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium sized bananas)—the browner and mushier the better!
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts or chocolate if desired. Pour into pans.
- Bake dough for about one and a quarter hours, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack or simply another plate if you don't have a wire rack.
- You can add chocolate chips in the middle of the banana bread to make it extra delicious. After you've removed the bread from the pan, place it on a flat surface. Then, take a long piece of dental floss and place it halfway through the bread on the end (horizontally), slide the floss through the bread to cut it in half (horizontally). Remove the top half, place chocolate chips on the bread while still hot, place the top back on and the heat will melt the chips in the middle.
- Cool completely before slicing for best results!
By Carli Alexa Blau for The Frisky