6. This doesn't count as a first date. This is just the two of you meeting for the first time. I know it might have all the signs of a date, but it's not. This is a time when you want to make sure that 'what you saw was what you got' and that this person is truly interested in getting to know you. It also takes away some of those first-date jitters by knowing this isn't really a date.
7. It's not a first date, but...It's a first meeting, so you still want to make a good impression: remember all of your dating rules, mind your manners, and even though it's casual, put a little effort into your look. I decided to make my first meetings casual because I got tired of getting all dressed up for someone that either didn't show up, or were otherwise disappointing. I'll wear jeans, a cute top, a little makeup—a step-up from grocery shopping, but not exactly girls' night out. Secrets To A Perfect Date Outfit
More from YourTango: Body Language 101: From A First Date To Meeting The Parents
8. Listen to your gut. If something doesn't seem right before you meet, don't do it. There is nothing that says just because you agreed to meet that you actually have to go through with it; you have instincts for a reason... Online Dating: 7 Signs You Shouldn't Date Him
9. Never travel more than 50 miles to meet someone. OK, so 50 is an arbitrary number, but in the catagory of "Been There, Done That," there are hundreds of stories (a few of them my own) of meeting someone from out-of-state with promises of love, happiness, and all, only to end up without a way home after a bad initial meeting. If you absolutely must meet someone that lives far from you, both of you should agree to make a vacation out of it—each of you brings a friend or two, and meet at a vacation spot both of you would like to go to. For example, if you live in Los Angeles and he lives in Dallas, maybe you could meet in Las Vegas. My suggestion: I always list that I will only date someone local to me since I don't like long-distance relationships.
More from YourTango: What Women Really Think … Of Your Teeth
10. Don't be afraid to have fun! I know the world of online dating can be treacherous, but there are plenty of good, real men and women out there who are truly looking to meet someone, so as long as you have been communicating with someone, there's no reason that you shouldn't let your guard down—a little!—and have fun meeting someone that may evolve into a potential relationship.