Ashley Dupre is just the latest woman to parlay a sex scandal into a Playboy pictorial.
If you're a semi-attractive woman caught in a sex scandal, what do you do? Go to church? Apologize to your lover’s wife? Feel just a teeny bit remorseful? The correct answer is: pose for Playboy! And while May’s cover girl Ashley Dupre is the latest harlot to grace the magazine's glossy pages, she's hardly the first. Below are seven other women who dropped trou in the face of controversy. Ashley Dupre Pens Advice Column
1. Marilyn Monroe - Did Marilyn Monroe have an affair with both JFK and Bobby Kennedy? While we’ll never know for sure, as Playboy’s inaugural cover girl in their first ever issue in 1953, Monroe set a high standard for the women who would follow after her. Marilyn Monroe Sex Tape Surfaces
2. Fanne Fox - Exotic dancer and September 1976 Playboy cover girl Fanne Fox was at the center of the most notorious political sex scandal of the 1970s. In October 1974, she was caught drinking and driving in the wee hours of the morning with a powerful member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Arkansas Congressman Wilbur Mills, who resigned just two months later.
3. Kimberly Bell - Kimberly Bell was the long-time mistress of Major League baseball player Barry Bonds. However, when their nine-year relationship went south in 2003, Bell enacted her revenge by testifying about Bonds’ steroid use to a grand jury and then later revealing all (both literally and figuratively) in the November 2007 issue of Playboy. Barry Bonds Splits From Wife
4. Jessica Cutler - It’s fitting that blogger Jessica Cutler appeared naked on Playboy.com, given that her scandal was internet-related. While a staff assistant for Ohio Senator Michael DeWine in 2004, Cutler wrote graphic accounts of her sex life on her short-lived blog, The Washingtonienne. However, it was the added detail that she accepted money from the men she slept with that had at least one newspaper nicknaming her the “DC slut.” Cutler was promptly fired from her job and appeared on the lad mag’s site that summer. Playboy Recruits Wall St. Women
5. Jessica Hahn - In 1987, Jessica Hahn made headlines by claiming that popular televangelist Jim Bakker and another preacher had drugged and raped her when she was a 21-year-old church secretary. Although Bakker maintains that he was “set-up,” he was forced to resign following the news that he had paid Hahn a substantial amount of hush money. Hahn appeared on Playboy’s cover in September 1988.
6. Suzen Johnson - These days, you can’t watch the fourth hour of The Today Show without hearing Kathie Lee Gifford blather on about her darling husband, Frank. However, it wasn’t always the case. In early 1997, Frank Gifford was caught at a New York hotel with his flight attendant mistress, Suzen Johnson, who, unbeknownst to him, had coordinated with a tabloid magazine to arrange for a photo of them together. Following the scandal, Johnson covered the November 1997 issue of Playboy. Mistress Fined Over Lover's Failed Marriage
7. Rita Jenrette - After her congressman husband John Jenrette was convicted in a corruption scandal, Jenrette did better than just stand by her man, she stripped. In the April 1981 issue, Jenrette made the most of her 15 minutes by posing for scantily-clad photos and confessing to Playboy that she and her husband had made love on the steps of the U.S. Capitol building.