Books that can help you deal with marriage problems, get over your ex, survive a divorce and more.
Sometimes you need to read about other people's relationships before coming face to face with your own. We've culled a few favorites that help us deal.
1. September Songs: The Good News About Marriage in the Later Years by Maggie Scarf
Ever wonder what the future holds for your marriage? Journalist Maggie Scarf interviews numerous couples between the ages of 50 and 75 in this well-researched study.
2. The Husbands and Wives Club: A Year in the Life of a Couples Therapy Group by Laurie Abraham
The troubles of 5 couples are brought to life by Abraham in this close look at couples therapy, making this an important book on the institute of modern marriage.
3. Falling Apart in One Piece by Stacy Morrison
How does one handle the shell shock of divorce? For Morrison, the answer was to keep moving. You'll sympathize with her honest musings on learning how to fall out of love, a demanding career, and caring for her young son.
4. Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert
Commitment-phobe Gilbert waxes on about domesticity with Brazilian beau, Felipe, while simultaneously researching the history of marriage and divorce.
5. Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession by Julie Powell
After spending a year cooking with Julia, Powell takes an apprenticeship with a butcher shop. Tales of her adult sex life are interwoven with detailed reports of her time spent with the chopping block.