From grace to quality time, there are six free holiday gifts we can give our spouses all year long.
I love Christmas. Its a great time of year for family, getting together, Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks, and gifts. Gifts rock. I like getting them. My wife and I differ on gift giving—she is one who likes to give 'experiences' not 'stuff.' A trip together would be a better gift, in her mind, than say, diamond earrings. I'm the opposite, I like getting 'stuff.' I don't connect with 'experience' as much as I do a physical 'gift.' 12 Free Romantic Gifts
No matter what your gift-giving style is, this time of year is a great reminder of the gifts we should be giving throughout the year, and if it takes this particular season to help us remember what we need to be doing more often, that's a good thing.
Here are 6 gifts you can give throughout the year:
1. The Gift of a Listening Ear. Don't jump to conclusions. Don't finish sentences before your spouse is done speaking. Open the ears and close the mouth.
2. The Gift of Engaging. We are a generation always connected, or always on the go. Disengage with your technology and engage with one another. Pick a night, a day, a weekend, a week, where the only gadgets you play with are each other.
3. The Gift of Time. This is related to engaging. If you are two people who seem to only pass in the hallway and exchange scheduling of who is taking the kid where, perhaps you should schedule the time to spend with one another. My wife and I have started a weekly lunch date. It's been awesome. Tie? iPad? No Thanks. 20 Unique, Affordable Gifts He'll Love
4. The Gift of Grace. We tend to be hardest on those we are closest to and the one we share our life with—our spouse. We become numb to who they are, the newness of our relationship is no longer present, and we feel that we can say and do anything, because the only egg shells we have are "The ones he left in the sink this morning, why didn't he put them in the trash?!" Instead of jumping on them immediately, give them grace. Be gentle in your approach and see what happens. How To Forgive Your Spouse In 8 Steps
More Juicy Content From YourTango:
- 10 Gifts Single Women Want
- 10 Gifts NOT To Give Her On Valentine's Day [PHOTOS]
- The Best Love Advice On YourTango